Two School of Education programs ranked in top five in U.S.

In a year that saw the addition of new majors for undergraduates and the expansion of space for graduate students and research faculty, the University of Miami School of Education has remained active in improving the quality of its education. Now, its efforts inside and outside the classroom are being rewarded.

In an annual report released by Academic Analytics, a company dedicated to collecting data about faculty productivity, the School of Education had two programs ranked in the top five in the country: the Teaching and Learning Program, ranked second in the Curriculum and Instruction category, and Counseling Psychology, ranked fifth.

In a press release sent out by the School of Education, Dean Isaac Prilleltensky said, “This is wonderful news for our school and the university at large. It focuses on our faculty’s achievements and highlights that it is among the most productive in generating significant work and ideas that are then translated into the classroom and community.”

Associate Dean Etiony Aldarondo agreed.

“This particular recognition is important because it is made on the basis of our productivity and it is not a popularity contest,” Aldarondo said. “They look at indicators that are somewhat more objective than others and it allows for a more fair comparison with other schools.”

Academic Analytics, which has been ranking schools since 2005, developed a formula with objective factors to make the rankings relative to size of the school. Such factors include the number of publications per faculty member, the amount of funding obtained for grant and research support, and the number of articles per faculty member that are cited in peer-reviewed journals.

Last year, the School of Education had three programs ranked: Teaching and Learning, Mathematics and Science Education, and Research, Measurement, and Evaluation.

Maggie DeBarberie

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...

Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba will take on No. 64 Ana Oparenovic Wednesday at 8 a.m., while Si ...

Dee Delaney is eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer from The Citadel, where he was na ...

Joe Gomez played the role of Hurricane hero Tuesday , lifting sixth-seeded Miami to a 6-5 win over 1 ...