Baseball

Canes survive unscathed against FAU, look ahead to UNC

Sophomore Scott Lawson dives back to first base after a failed pick-off attempt from FAU. The Canes topped the Owls 3-1, sweeping their season series. STEVEN STUTS // Hurricane Staff

On Tuesday night at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field, junior standout Kyle Bellamy proved why he was named the closer of the Mid-Season All-American team by Baseball America.

Bellamy worked in and out of trouble in the ninth inning and was able to preserve the 3-1 victory over FAU at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field.

Bellamy recorded his ACC-leading 10th save of the season.

“The ninth inning did not go quite as I planned, but a win is a win,” Bellamy said. “My defense really picked me up tonight.”

With the bases loaded and no one out in the top of the ninth inning, Bellamy induced an unconventional double play. FAU third baseman Troy Bubley hit a fly ball to junior left fielder Chris Herrmann. Herrmann threw to freshman third baseman Harold Martinez who then fired a strike to home plate as junior catcher Jason Hagerty provided the swipe tag.

The next batter grounded out to end the game, as UM (26-10, 11-7) defeated FAU (17-16) for the third time this season.

“[Bellamy] is our ace,” Hagerty said. “You feel that he is going to come in and shut the door every time. He has great stuff and the right mentality. He has a great work ethic and is always prepared. Every time he gets out there we feel like the game is over.”

Senior starter Jason Santana threw a gem, tossing a career-high seven innings while allowing one run and five hits. He improved his record to 6-0, and half of his wins have come against the FAU Owls. He defeated them for the third time in as many weeks.

The game’s deciding play came in the fifth inning, when sophomore designated hitter Harold Martinez blooped a single to shallow center field that plated freshman center fielder Nathan Melendres, giving the Hurricanes a 2-1 lead.

The Canes added an insurance run in the seventh, as Hagerty extended his hitting streak to 13 games with an RBI double in right center field.

The Hurricanes have a crucial series with No. 5 North Carolina beginning Friday night at 7 p.m. in Chapel Hill. All games can be heard on 90.5 FM WVUM.

Justin Antweil

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...