Canes finish regular season, await ACCs

With the regular season in the rearview mirror, the sixth-ranked women’s tennis team awaits the ACC championships which will take place this weekend in Cary, N.C.

Miami (21-3, 10-1) stands atop the conference after yet another 7-0 victory this past Friday. Its victim this time around: host Maryland (4-16, 1-9).

For the third consecutive match and ninth time on the season, UM shut out its opponent with a score of 7-0.

Leading the way are Miami’s top four singles players, all of whom are nationally ranked.

Sophomore Julia Cohen, who is ranked as the fourth-best singles player in the nation, has won 15 straight singles matches and finished a perfect 11-0 in ACC play.

Two-time All-American and junior Laura Vallverdu, ranked 22nd, is on a six-match winning streak and looks comfortable behind Cohen in the lineup. She has fully shaken off the rust that appeared early on in the season from not playing much during the fall.

Sophomores Bianca Eichkorn (No. 27) and Michaela Kissell (No. 51) have won 10 matches in a row in the third and fourth positions.

The Hurricanes ride a 10-match winning streak into the tournament. Six of the 12 teams competing are in the top 25 of the latest Intecollegiate Tennis Association’s poll.

Seventh-ranked Georgia Tech (16-6, 9-2) handed the Canes their only conference loss back on March 7 in a 5-2 match on the road. However, that was a time before head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews had found a winning doubles formula which has pushed their play up to another level.

Despite dropping a 5-2 decision to Miami on March 22 at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, Duke (20-3, 10-1), is ranked right ahead of Miami at No. 5 in the ITA poll.

Team Conference Overall
Miami 10-1 21-3
Duke 10-1 20-3
Clemson 9-2 17-6
Georgia Tech 9-2 16-6
Florida State 6-4 13-6
North Carolina 6-5 16-9
Virginia 4-6 11-8
Wake Forest 3-7 12-10
Virginia Tech 2-8 12-10
Boston College 2-9 7-12
Maryland 1-9 4-16
NC State 1-9 4-16

1. #4 Julia Cohen (UMW) def. Eleanor Peters (MD) 6-4, 6-0
2. #22 Laura Vallverdu (UMW) def. Michal Amir (MD) 6-0, 6-0
3. #27 Bianca Eichkorn (UMW) def. Karin Lundmark (MD) 6-1, 6-2
4. #51 Michaela Kissell (UMW) def. Lisa Miller (MD) 6-1, 6-2
5. Gabriela Mejia (UMW) def. Jordan Hansbrough (MD) 6-1, 6-1
6. Claudia Wasilewski (UMW) def. Oksana Krutiyenko (MD) 6-1, 6-0

1. #15 Michaela Kissell/Laura Vallverdu (UMW) def. Lisa Miller/Michal Amir (MD) 8-5
2. #47 Julia Cohen/Bianca Eichkorn (UMW) def. Julia Huschke/Karin Lundmark (MD) 8-2
3. Eleanor Peters/Jordan Hansbrough (MD) def. Gabriela Mejia/Claudia Wasilewski (UMW) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,1,5,3,6,4)

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

A UM physicist comments on the passing of British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking. ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...

The University of Miami rowing team kicked off its spring season at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Hurricanes fell behind early and could not recover Saturday afternoon, falling to No. 23 Duke, 4 ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team had its superb 2017-18 season come to an end Sa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will go into a match ranked for the first time this s ...