Sports Briefs

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Junior forward Dwayne Collins has elected to submit his name for the upcoming NBA Draft, but he will not hire an agent in order to retain the option of returning to the Hurricanes next season.

Collins, a 6’8″ forward from Miami, was the team’s second-leading scorer with 10.6 points per game. He added a team-high 7.3 rebounds and 1.0 steals per game.

Underclassmen who declare for the draft have until June 15 to remove their name and maintain college eligibility. The NBA Draft is scheduled for June 25.

TRACK/FIELD

With a time of 44.39 seconds, seniors Murielle Ahoure and Krista Simkins, junior Kristy Whyte and sophomore Charlene Fuller led the women’s 4×100 relay as the first collegiate team to finish and third overall and earned a regional qualifying time at the Miami Elite Invitational this past weekend at Cobb Stadium.

Whyte, Simkins, Ahoure and sophomore Tameka Jameson were the first collegiate team to finish in the 4×400 relay, trailing only the Bahamian team, and their time of 3:37.51 notched a regional qualifying time.

The men’s ACC 60-meter hurdle champion, junior Cory Nelms, reached the regional qualifying time in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 14.21.

Sophomore Takecia Jameson became the third different Hurricane to reach a regional qualifying time in the 400-meter hurdles with her third-place performance of 1:00.27. She joins her sister Tameka and sophomore Ti’erra Brown as those who are eligible to compete in the regional championships in May.

VOLLEYBALL

The women’s volleyball team finished 1-4 on Saturday at Florida Gym in its last indoor event of the spring season.

Florida State defeated the Hurricanes 2-0 (25-19, 25-23). The host Gators also took a match 2-0 (25-23, 25-22) during the morning session. Miami beat Florida International 2-0 (25-19, 25-21) for its sole win. Florida outlasted the Canes 2-1 (25-17, 25-17, 13-15), while the Seminoles handled Miami in two sets, 2-0 (25-17, 25-23) in the afternoon session.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...