Sports Briefs

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Junior forward Dwayne Collins has elected to submit his name for the upcoming NBA Draft, but he will not hire an agent in order to retain the option of returning to the Hurricanes next season.

Collins, a 6’8″ forward from Miami, was the team’s second-leading scorer with 10.6 points per game. He added a team-high 7.3 rebounds and 1.0 steals per game.

Underclassmen who declare for the draft have until June 15 to remove their name and maintain college eligibility. The NBA Draft is scheduled for June 25.

TRACK/FIELD

With a time of 44.39 seconds, seniors Murielle Ahoure and Krista Simkins, junior Kristy Whyte and sophomore Charlene Fuller led the women’s 4×100 relay as the first collegiate team to finish and third overall and earned a regional qualifying time at the Miami Elite Invitational this past weekend at Cobb Stadium.

Whyte, Simkins, Ahoure and sophomore Tameka Jameson were the first collegiate team to finish in the 4×400 relay, trailing only the Bahamian team, and their time of 3:37.51 notched a regional qualifying time.

The men’s ACC 60-meter hurdle champion, junior Cory Nelms, reached the regional qualifying time in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 14.21.

Sophomore Takecia Jameson became the third different Hurricane to reach a regional qualifying time in the 400-meter hurdles with her third-place performance of 1:00.27. She joins her sister Tameka and sophomore Ti’erra Brown as those who are eligible to compete in the regional championships in May.

VOLLEYBALL

The women’s volleyball team finished 1-4 on Saturday at Florida Gym in its last indoor event of the spring season.

Florida State defeated the Hurricanes 2-0 (25-19, 25-23). The host Gators also took a match 2-0 (25-23, 25-22) during the morning session. Miami beat Florida International 2-0 (25-19, 25-21) for its sole win. Florida outlasted the Canes 2-1 (25-17, 25-17, 13-15), while the Seminoles handled Miami in two sets, 2-0 (25-17, 25-23) in the afternoon session.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Week three of fall camp began today, and the first practice after Saturday’s first scrimmage of camp ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...