RSMAS Beat Notebook: April 12

The University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science along with the Bonefish and Tarpon Trust conducted the Inaugural Florida Keys Spring Bonefish Population Census on Tuesday. It was conducted to monitor year-to-year population changes and the long-term sustainability of the sport fish. The data collected from the first spring census conducted this year complements the annual census conducted in the fall for the last six years.

Scientists from the University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, in collaboration with scientists from the University of Oxford, have analyzed data on the 8.0 magnitude earthquake that occured Aug. 16, 2007, in Pisco, Peru, and its impact on regional topography. The event killed 595 people while another 318 remain missing. Using Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar geodetic data and teleseismic data, the scientists were able to use satellite images to identify details of this major plate boundary event. The study was published in the Geophysical Journal International.

Analisa Harangozo

Staff News Writer

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...