Honor Council prepares for Academic Integrity Week to raise awareness of University Honor Code

The Undergraduate Honor Council is hosting Academic Integrity Week from Monday through Thursday to help raise awareness of ethics and the University Honor Code.

“The Honor Council not only has a practical use, it has a symbolic significance as well,” said Ricardo Hall, the dean of students. “The Honor Code not only exists, but it lives and that’s what the Honor Council is trying to convey with Academic Integrity Week.”

The 29-member student-run council investigates complaints, determines the facts in a given case and, upon finding a violation of the code, assesses appropriate penalties.

Sessions are planned every day, highlighted by an open forum Wednesday night featuring Hall, U.S. Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, School of Business Dean Barbara Kahn,  Kenneth Goodman of UM’s ethics programs and Chris Doell of the varsity athletic department. The panelists will also take questions from the audience.

“We’re just trying to get our name out there and hope to get good attendance,” said Rachel Russo, the co-chair of Academic Integrity Week.

Dayle Wilson, assistant dean of students, said the events are important to all students.

“The majority of what we’re trying to do here is establish the culture of Miami’s Honor Code and how relevant it is to the culture around campus,” Wilson said. “We’re providing all kinds of opportunities for students to get know the Honor Code around campus and this week will enhance the reputation of the university.”

Wilson added the fact that “the entire week will be totally run by students is a major plus.”

“Research shows students respond to their peers and what better way to spread the University Honor Code than programs developed by a council led by student peers?” she said.

Schedule of Events
·       Monday:  Don’t Stake Your Degree – information on consequences for violating the code, all day on the UC Green.
·       Tuesday: Academic Resource Fair – information, food, drinks and prizes at the Hecht Residential College, 5 to 7 p.m.
·       Wednesday: Ethics and Integrity Forum – discussion and Q&A in the Law School Student Lounge, 7 to 8 p.m.
·       Thursday: Sign the Code – information, food and prizes on the UC Patio, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Mike Pindelski

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...