Honor Council prepares for Academic Integrity Week to raise awareness of University Honor Code

The Undergraduate Honor Council is hosting Academic Integrity Week from Monday through Thursday to help raise awareness of ethics and the University Honor Code.

“The Honor Council not only has a practical use, it has a symbolic significance as well,” said Ricardo Hall, the dean of students. “The Honor Code not only exists, but it lives and that’s what the Honor Council is trying to convey with Academic Integrity Week.”

The 29-member student-run council investigates complaints, determines the facts in a given case and, upon finding a violation of the code, assesses appropriate penalties.

Sessions are planned every day, highlighted by an open forum Wednesday night featuring Hall, U.S. Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, School of Business Dean Barbara Kahn,  Kenneth Goodman of UM’s ethics programs and Chris Doell of the varsity athletic department. The panelists will also take questions from the audience.

“We’re just trying to get our name out there and hope to get good attendance,” said Rachel Russo, the co-chair of Academic Integrity Week.

Dayle Wilson, assistant dean of students, said the events are important to all students.

“The majority of what we’re trying to do here is establish the culture of Miami’s Honor Code and how relevant it is to the culture around campus,” Wilson said. “We’re providing all kinds of opportunities for students to get know the Honor Code around campus and this week will enhance the reputation of the university.”

Wilson added the fact that “the entire week will be totally run by students is a major plus.”

“Research shows students respond to their peers and what better way to spread the University Honor Code than programs developed by a council led by student peers?” she said.

Schedule of Events
·       Monday:  Don’t Stake Your Degree – information on consequences for violating the code, all day on the UC Green.
·       Tuesday: Academic Resource Fair – information, food, drinks and prizes at the Hecht Residential College, 5 to 7 p.m.
·       Wednesday: Ethics and Integrity Forum – discussion and Q&A in the Law School Student Lounge, 7 to 8 p.m.
·       Thursday: Sign the Code – information, food and prizes on the UC Patio, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Mike Pindelski

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...