‘Duplicity’ is a ton of fun despite Roberts

Duplicity, writer-director Tony Gilroy’s first movie since 2007’s Michael Clayton, takes all the boardroom intrigue of Clayton and adds a sense of humor. It isn’t hard to make a decent movie when Clive Owen and Tom Wilkinson are involved and Gilroy more than succeeds with the witty, enjoyable Duplicity.

Owen and Julia Roberts star as two former secret agents turned corporate. Employed by two rival multinational corporations, they team up to dupe both companies and make $40 million in the process.

Clive Owen is everything a leading man should be: charismatic, engaging and unbelievably sexy. Roberts, however, does not fare as well as her costar, choosing instead to pout and snipe her way through the film. Wilkinson and Paul Giamatti fare far better than Roberts, and their opening scene, a no-holds-barred fistfight on an airport tarmac, is the funniest bit in the film. Supporting players like the inimitable Denis O’Hare and Tom McCarthy also save Duplicity from being sunk by Roberts’ bad acting.

While the pacing may seem slow at times and the numerous flashbacks may be a bit confusing to some, Duplicity is simply a ton of fun. It may not appeal to mainstream audiences, but for those who are willing to invest some time and thought in the film, the payoff is estimable.

Rating: 3/4 stars

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

After a double-bye, the fourth-seeded and No. 15-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Ch ...

The Hurricanes will compete in the 54-hole Austin Regional at the University of Texas Golf Club from ...

The Hurricanes are headed to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete at the inaugural National Relay Champion ...

For the final time in his storied career, Miami head coach Jim Morris and his Hurricanes will make t ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...