Celebrities, students connect through Twitter

From following the day-to-day activities of Britney Spears to learning about upcoming university events, Twitter empowers students with information and the ability to communicate with others.

Launched in 2006, the site has grown exponentially, with users continually providing updates, or “tweets,” in 140 characters or less. Those who “follow” users receive these updates in real time on their Twitter homepage. The possibilities of Twitter are endless, and students and University of Miami organizations alike have taken notice.

Category 5, the university’s spirit programming committee, plans to create an account to publicize information about sporting events. The Cinematic Arts Commission just made one to promote their movie screenings at the Cosford Cinema.

Similarly, students have decided to create Twitter pages to for personal use, to broadcast their feelings and ideas.

Walyce Almeida opened an account while studying abroad at Salzburg University.

“We were having great discussions and I felt those conversations needed to be opened up to people around the world. So, I started using Twitter as a way to begin and continue a dialogue,” said Almeida, a UM multimedia journalism graduate student. “What I mean by dialogue is an exchange of ideas, opinions and personal stories.”

Almeida greatly enjoys the ability to express her opinion and receive the input of others. She prefers to “follow” journalists, producers, editors, and those well known in their field.

While the option to receive the updates of professionals is readily available on Twitter, the same can be said for those in the entertainment industry. Many celebrities and famous figures have Twitter accounts, providing fans a unique way to connect with their favorite stars. The “tweets” of Spears, Martha Stewart, Ashton Kutcher, MC Hammer and countless others, are readily available on the Internet.

Freshman Adam Berger does not have a personal Twitter account but follows the updates of his favorite bands, Blink 182 and Nine Inch Nails.

“It is interesting to hear what they are up to, news about tours, and their music,” he said. “And it’s nice to hear it straight from their mouth and not their publicists’.”

While it is helpful to remain in touch with friends and to read about the activities of favorite celebrities, sometimes Twitter can provide too much information. However, sophomore Andy Zweibel does not feel that this detracts from the site and its full potential.

“Those who don’t know much about [Twitter] think it’s just a glorified Web site for posting Facebook status-esque updates. This is what I thought from the beginning too,” he said.

“I have realized that it’s so much more about meeting people and sharing ideas, than letting everyone know when you’re eating a bowl of cereal,” Zweibel said. “I would encourage anyone to at least try Twitter for a few months before passing judgment.”

To create an account or to learn more about the site, visit www.twitter.com.

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...