Basketball

Dwayne Collins to enter name in NBA Draft, will not hire agent

Junior forward Dwayne Collins will enter his name in the 2009 NBA Draft, testing the waters of professional basketball. However, he will not hire an agent, meaning that he can return to the Hurricanes for his senior season if he chooses.

“This is a chance for Dwayne to get feedback on his game from general managers and NBA scouts on what he needs to do to have an opportunity to play professional basketball,” head coach Frank Haith said in a statement released by the athletic department. “I support Dwayne’s decision to test the waters.”

Collins became Miami’s reliable interior threat last season, scoring 10.6 points per game, good for second on the squad. He was fifth in the ACC with 3.1 offensive rebounds per game.

“I talked to my family and Coach Haith and let them know I want to take this opportunity,” Collins said in the statement. “I’ll put my name in and see what happens, and make a decision from there.”

The NBA Draft is scheduled to take place on June 25.

Matthew Bunch

Lester Williams wasn’t on the field playing for the Miami Hurricanes when they won their first natio ...

An extremely frustrated University of Miami football coach Mark Richt began his media availability b ...