Spring 2009 tappees welcomed into Iron Arrow; McClinton forced to wait due to 3-point championship WITH TAPPEE LIST

The jackets were out and about again last week, as students were tapped for Iron Arrow, the University of Miami’s highest honor. However, one tappee had to wait a little longer than most.

Senior guard Jack McClinton was tapped Tuesday evening, after other spring 2009 tappees, because he was participating in the 21st Annual State Farm 3-Point Championship in Detroit, a competition he won.

McClinton was the only player named to the All-ACC team and the All-ACC Academic team in 2008, and is again the only All-ACC player in 2009 to earn academic honors. A transfer from Siena, McClinton set the ACC’s record for 3-point percentage at .443 and led Miami to its first NCAA tournament appearance since 2001-2002 in 2008.

McClinton is the second athlete tapped into the honor society this academic year, as junior shortstop Ryan Jackson was selected last fall.

According to the calendar on Iron Arrow’s Web site, initiations are set to take place on the weekend of April 18 and 19. The Iron Arrow Honor Society was founded at the University of Miami in 1926 and is the highest honor attainable at the university. Iron Arrow is based on the traditions of the Seminole Indians, and the society recognizes individuals in the University of Miami community who display love of alma mater, character, leadership, scholarship and humility.

-Matthew Bunch and Pravin Patel

THE FULL LIST OF SPRING 2009 TAPEES

Richard Burton
Wayne Chaplin
Daisy Ciener
Mary Coombs
Jenny Denk
Josefina Farra
Ricardo Fernandez
Megha Garg
William Hagen
Kelly Jackson
Pamela Jackson
Josh Knight
Jack McClinton
Danay Morales
Sue O’Malley
Marissa Orenstein
Sagar Patel
Pravin Patel
Michelle-Marie Pena
Michael Pieciak
Tauna Rankin
Alex Schimel
Edna Shalala
Sabrina Solomon
Brittany Tedeschi
Michael Werner
David Wilson

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...