Spring 2009 tappees welcomed into Iron Arrow; McClinton forced to wait due to 3-point championship WITH TAPPEE LIST

The jackets were out and about again last week, as students were tapped for Iron Arrow, the University of Miami’s highest honor. However, one tappee had to wait a little longer than most.

Senior guard Jack McClinton was tapped Tuesday evening, after other spring 2009 tappees, because he was participating in the 21st Annual State Farm 3-Point Championship in Detroit, a competition he won.

McClinton was the only player named to the All-ACC team and the All-ACC Academic team in 2008, and is again the only All-ACC player in 2009 to earn academic honors. A transfer from Siena, McClinton set the ACC’s record for 3-point percentage at .443 and led Miami to its first NCAA tournament appearance since 2001-2002 in 2008.

McClinton is the second athlete tapped into the honor society this academic year, as junior shortstop Ryan Jackson was selected last fall.

According to the calendar on Iron Arrow’s Web site, initiations are set to take place on the weekend of April 18 and 19. The Iron Arrow Honor Society was founded at the University of Miami in 1926 and is the highest honor attainable at the university. Iron Arrow is based on the traditions of the Seminole Indians, and the society recognizes individuals in the University of Miami community who display love of alma mater, character, leadership, scholarship and humility.

-Matthew Bunch and Pravin Patel

THE FULL LIST OF SPRING 2009 TAPEES

Richard Burton
Wayne Chaplin
Daisy Ciener
Mary Coombs
Jenny Denk
Josefina Farra
Ricardo Fernandez
Megha Garg
William Hagen
Kelly Jackson
Pamela Jackson
Josh Knight
Jack McClinton
Danay Morales
Sue O’Malley
Marissa Orenstein
Sagar Patel
Pravin Patel
Michelle-Marie Pena
Michael Pieciak
Tauna Rankin
Alex Schimel
Edna Shalala
Sabrina Solomon
Brittany Tedeschi
Michael Werner
David Wilson

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...