Sophomore Michael Anderson, 20, dies while studying abroad

Michael Anderson, a 20-year-old University of Miami sophomore majoring in finance, died Wednesday in Sydney, Australia, according to an official university statement made this afternoon.

Anderson, a native of Scottsdale, Ariz., was studying abroad for the semester at the University of Technology in Sydney. Patricia A. Whitely told The Miami Hurricane this morning that Anderson died of cardiac arrest.

“The University of Miami community mourns the tragic loss of one our students, Michael Anderson. Our thoughts and prayers are with Michael’s family and friends, and we will do everything possible to help them during this difficult time,” said the statement, sent via e-mail by Karla V. Hernandez, director of Media Relations.

Anderson was studying in UM’s School of Business.

Linda Neider, the vice dean of Undergraduate Business, said that Anderson shared with his University of Miami Experience course instructor that he “particularly enjoyed the fact that he had met friends from around the world during his first year, and loved the international flavor of many Florida locales such as South Beach.”

“Although he was a finance major, Michael noted that his parents, two successful entrepreneurs, had a major impact on his life and he thought he might someday follow in their footsteps,” Neider said in an e-mail to The Miami Hurricane. “Needless to say, he will be sorely missed by all those who had the good fortune to know him.”

Six other UM students are currently studying at UT Sydney, according to the university statement.

Anderson is the second University of Miami student to pass away while studying abroad this year. Scott Jared Monat, a second-year neurobiology major, died in early March while studying abroad at the National University of Singapore. The cause of death has yet to be released by the police in Singapore.

The statement added that Anderson was a gifted tennis player and student leader in high school.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...