Theater program, Tony winner collaborate on ‘Pride and Prejudice: The Musical’

Mark Lamos

Mark Lamos

Theater is some kind of magic. At first, the classroom is ordinary, stripped of any color, prop, or form of embellishment. But when visiting director Mark Lamos and University of Miami student actors get to work, the rehearsal room is instantly transformed into a 19th-century country home, the perfect setting for the musical adaptation of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice.

The production, with a single performance this Wednesday, has been the project of Mark Lamos and a group of student actors for little over two weeks, requiring the group as a whole to decide on lines and strive to make the script more of an adaptation than a duplication of the text.

“Let’s invent some scenes that could have been invented by Jane Austen but would be great for a musical theater piece,” Lamos said of the script and the kind of work he expects from his cast.

As the actors perform, it is almost too easy to forget that they are performing in an empty classroom on the second floor of Hecht Residential College.

“Wonderful. They’re so great. They’re eager and very, very smart,” said Lamos about the students with whom he’s had the pleasure to work. And the students who have been working with this four-time Tony Award winner and former artistic director of Hartford Stage have many great things to say about Lamos as well.

“He explains the subtext of everything in the script so we can understand because some of the language is elevated. And just the energy he brings just pumps everyone up,” said Megan Moran, who plays Jane Bennet.

Samantha Courtight, a musical theater major who is playing Jane Austen and Charlotte Lucas, gave great insight into the kind of experience the students have received while working with such an accredited director.

“He expects a lot from you, which is really appreciated because you go in there working really hard, and he gives you praise that lets you know if you need to bring up your game,” she said. “He has a great vision of what he wants and he really engages you with that by describing the scenes to help you know what your character is feeling. It’s been a great experience.”

If You Go:

What: A musical adaptation of the classic Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Where: Gusman Concert Hall

When: April 8 at 8 p.m.

Price: Free for everyone

Nicolette Roque

Assistant News Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Theater program, Tony winner collaborate on ‘Pride and Prejudice: The Musical’”

1. I am trying to make a timer circuit with the help of 89c52 micro controller. I have one assembly language program, but the programming kit supports only to C language. I want to translate assembly program to C program so that I can use it for the above mentioned micro controller. If anyone of you know how to translate, then please do tell me. Thank you. If any other information you need related to the circuit please ask about it.

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...