Tennis

Hurricanes sweep weekend matches, win streak hits nine

TANYA THOMPSON // ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR

With its final regular season match at 1 p.m. this Friday against host Maryland (4-15, 1-8), the fifth-ranked women’s tennis team is riding a nine-game winning streak after sweeping weekend matches against N.C. State and No. 34 Wake Forest.

On the season, Miami has now won eight matches by a score of 7-0.

The Hurricanes (20-3, 9-1) stand atop the ACC, which features six teams in the top 25.

“I think it’s probably one of the toughest conferences in the country,” head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “I think it’s been real rewarding for myself so far and these kids.”

Miami won each singles and doubles match against the Demon Deacons (12-8, 3-5) on Sunday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center to wrap up its home schedule with a flawless 14-0 record.

“The girls play really well at home, but I think we feel very comfortable and I don’t think it’s easy coming to Miami and playing in these elements with the wind and the heat,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “We definitely use that to our advantage.”

Fourth-ranked Julia Cohen won her 14th consecutive match, while fellow sophomores Bianca Eichkorn and Michaela Kissell extended their winning streaks to nine.

“We’ve been keeping things real simple with Miami tennis and that’s something that I kind of coach year after year and keeping that work up at a real high level,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “With the talent we have in our lineup, I think that’s the recipe. It’s really pushing us over the top. We’re just hoping to keep it going into the conference and NCAA tournament.”

INFO BOX

Singles
1. #4 Julia Cohen (UM) def. No. 55 Sasha Kulikova (WF) 6-3, 6-1
2. No. 22 Laura Vallverdu (UM) def. Sierra Poske (WF) 6-0, 6-2
3. No. 51 Michaela Kissell (UM) def. Emilee Malvehy (WF) 6-0, 5-7, 10-2
4. No. 27 Bianca Eichkorn (UM) def. Christian Tara (WF) 6-0, 6-0
5. Gabriela Mejia (UM) def. Ryann Cutillo (WF) 6-0, 6-1
6. Claudia Wasilewski (UM) def. Aileen Davis (WF) 5-7, 6-1,10-6

Doubles
1. #15 Kissell/Vallverdu (UM) def. Kulikova/Poske (WF) 8-0
2. #47 Cohen/Eichkorn (UM) def. Malhevy/Davis (WF) 8-3
3. Mejia/Wasilewsko (UM) def. Tara/Katarina Reveche (WF) 8-6

Order of Finish: Doubles (1, 2, 3); Singles (4, 1, 5, 2, 3, 6)

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...