Tennis

Hurricanes sweep weekend matches, win streak hits nine

TANYA THOMPSON // ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR

With its final regular season match at 1 p.m. this Friday against host Maryland (4-15, 1-8), the fifth-ranked women’s tennis team is riding a nine-game winning streak after sweeping weekend matches against N.C. State and No. 34 Wake Forest.

On the season, Miami has now won eight matches by a score of 7-0.

The Hurricanes (20-3, 9-1) stand atop the ACC, which features six teams in the top 25.

“I think it’s probably one of the toughest conferences in the country,” head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “I think it’s been real rewarding for myself so far and these kids.”

Miami won each singles and doubles match against the Demon Deacons (12-8, 3-5) on Sunday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center to wrap up its home schedule with a flawless 14-0 record.

“The girls play really well at home, but I think we feel very comfortable and I don’t think it’s easy coming to Miami and playing in these elements with the wind and the heat,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “We definitely use that to our advantage.”

Fourth-ranked Julia Cohen won her 14th consecutive match, while fellow sophomores Bianca Eichkorn and Michaela Kissell extended their winning streaks to nine.

“We’ve been keeping things real simple with Miami tennis and that’s something that I kind of coach year after year and keeping that work up at a real high level,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “With the talent we have in our lineup, I think that’s the recipe. It’s really pushing us over the top. We’re just hoping to keep it going into the conference and NCAA tournament.”

INFO BOX

Singles
1. #4 Julia Cohen (UM) def. No. 55 Sasha Kulikova (WF) 6-3, 6-1
2. No. 22 Laura Vallverdu (UM) def. Sierra Poske (WF) 6-0, 6-2
3. No. 51 Michaela Kissell (UM) def. Emilee Malvehy (WF) 6-0, 5-7, 10-2
4. No. 27 Bianca Eichkorn (UM) def. Christian Tara (WF) 6-0, 6-0
5. Gabriela Mejia (UM) def. Ryann Cutillo (WF) 6-0, 6-1
6. Claudia Wasilewski (UM) def. Aileen Davis (WF) 5-7, 6-1,10-6

Doubles
1. #15 Kissell/Vallverdu (UM) def. Kulikova/Poske (WF) 8-0
2. #47 Cohen/Eichkorn (UM) def. Malhevy/Davis (WF) 8-3
3. Mejia/Wasilewsko (UM) def. Tara/Katarina Reveche (WF) 8-6

Order of Finish: Doubles (1, 2, 3); Singles (4, 1, 5, 2, 3, 6)

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...