Baseball

Sophomore lefty Hernandez bumped to Saturday night spot after rough outings

CHRIS HERNANDEZ

CHRIS HERNANDEZ

University of Miami Baseball Head Coach Jim Morris announced today that there will be a change in the weekend pitching rotation.

Struggling sophomore Chris Hernandez will now pitch on Saturday and switch slots with junior David Gutierrez. Gutierrez will toll the mound tomorrow in the series opener against Florida State at 7 p.m.

Hernandez has not lived up to expectations this year after being honored as a preseason All-American. He is 2-2 with an ERA of 5.88. Pitching Coach J.D. Arteaga and Morris elected to rest the 2008 National Freshman Pitcher of the Year this fall after he led the staff in innings pitched last season and pitched for the U.S. National Team over the summer. In his first 21 collegiate starts, he never suffered a loss. He has now suffered back to back losses to Virginia and Georgia Tech. Last Friday he gave up a career high seven earned runs.

Gutierrez, despite a 2-2 record, has had solid performances and currently holds a 1.51 ERA.

Justin Antweil

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...