Shalala’s April Fool’s Day e-mail confuses some, has real meaning

PRESIDENT DONNA E. SHALALA

PRESIDENT DONNA E. SHALALA

Many students woke up Wednesday morning with a few questions after checking their e-mail boxes. Was it okay to walk on the grass? Wasn’t it before? Had someone hacked university president Donna E. Shalala’s e-mail account?

The truth is much simpler. No, the message sent to the student body wasn’t an April Fool’s Day joke. But it definitely didn’t have the serious tone of previous communications from her.

“So here’s your charge for today. Make getting from your Point A to B a straight line. YOUR straight line,” Shalala wrote in her e-mail, which was received by students this morning. “Ride your bikes and walk across the grass and the Green.”

Shalala has mentioned in the past that she would like to see students use the grass more in their everyday routine, noting that campus planners observe frequently-used grass paths for possible paved paths in the future. This fact was mentioned in the e-mail.

When contacted by e-mail, Shalala told The Miami Hurricane that the tone of the e-mail was affected by the day, and that the message was driven by the “perfect weather.” She plans to follow up on the message if students seem receptive, but it depends on the effectiveness of today’s message.

To read the full message from President Shalala, click here.

Matthew Bunch

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...