Shalala’s April Fool’s Day e-mail confuses some, has real meaning

PRESIDENT DONNA E. SHALALA

PRESIDENT DONNA E. SHALALA

Many students woke up Wednesday morning with a few questions after checking their e-mail boxes. Was it okay to walk on the grass? Wasn’t it before? Had someone hacked university president Donna E. Shalala’s e-mail account?

The truth is much simpler. No, the message sent to the student body wasn’t an April Fool’s Day joke. But it definitely didn’t have the serious tone of previous communications from her.

“So here’s your charge for today. Make getting from your Point A to B a straight line. YOUR straight line,” Shalala wrote in her e-mail, which was received by students this morning. “Ride your bikes and walk across the grass and the Green.”

Shalala has mentioned in the past that she would like to see students use the grass more in their everyday routine, noting that campus planners observe frequently-used grass paths for possible paved paths in the future. This fact was mentioned in the e-mail.

When contacted by e-mail, Shalala told The Miami Hurricane that the tone of the e-mail was affected by the day, and that the message was driven by the “perfect weather.” She plans to follow up on the message if students seem receptive, but it depends on the effectiveness of today’s message.

To read the full message from President Shalala, click here.

Matthew Bunch

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...