Shalala’s April Fool’s Day e-mail confuses some, has real meaning

PRESIDENT DONNA E. SHALALA

PRESIDENT DONNA E. SHALALA

Many students woke up Wednesday morning with a few questions after checking their e-mail boxes. Was it okay to walk on the grass? Wasn’t it before? Had someone hacked university president Donna E. Shalala’s e-mail account?

The truth is much simpler. No, the message sent to the student body wasn’t an April Fool’s Day joke. But it definitely didn’t have the serious tone of previous communications from her.

“So here’s your charge for today. Make getting from your Point A to B a straight line. YOUR straight line,” Shalala wrote in her e-mail, which was received by students this morning. “Ride your bikes and walk across the grass and the Green.”

Shalala has mentioned in the past that she would like to see students use the grass more in their everyday routine, noting that campus planners observe frequently-used grass paths for possible paved paths in the future. This fact was mentioned in the e-mail.

When contacted by e-mail, Shalala told The Miami Hurricane that the tone of the e-mail was affected by the day, and that the message was driven by the “perfect weather.” She plans to follow up on the message if students seem receptive, but it depends on the effectiveness of today’s message.

To read the full message from President Shalala, click here.

Matthew Bunch

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...