‘Fast and Furious’ thrills but doesn’t think

For those who loved the first movie, were impartial to the second movie, and did not understand the third movie, Fast and Furious is the sequel that should have been made in the first place. The original cast comes back to retell the story of Dom (Vin Diesel), Brian O’Conner (Paul Walker), Letty (Michelle Rodriguez) and Mia Toretto (Jordana Brewster). It may be five years later, but the characters are just as fresh as ever.

The movie brings back the elements that work (gratuitous bikini-clad women, fast cars and booze-soaked parties) while introducing new characters and more high-octane action than should be allowed. The cars are better and flashier, the chases are faster and more destructive. The first 15 minutes grab viewers’ attention, and the movie doesn’t let go until the final credits roll. Each character has evolved in the past five years and questions unanswered from the original are finally addressed.

Vin Diesel, reprising his role as Dominic Toretto, is back doing what he does best: driving fast, talking in his deep, raspy voice, and wearing children’s extra small white tees. Only Diesel can pull it off, and he does it so very well.

This movie is a true escape from beginning to end. Though not a thought-provoking film by any means, Fast and Furious is a great action film with constant car chases and testosterone-heavy action.

Rating: 3 out of 4 stars

MacKenzie Green

Contributing EDGE Writer

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...