Avissar named new dean of RSMAS

Roni Avissar, speaking to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change last June, will become the new dean of RSMAS, replacing Otis Brown.

Two weeks, two new deans for the University of Miami.

Roni Avissar, a professor at Duke University specilizing in climatology, has been named the new head of the Universiy of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, according to a statement from the university.

“Roni Avissar is a distinguished scientist and prominent scholar who will bring strong leadership to the rich academic resources of the Rosenstiel School,” university president Donna E. Shalala said in the statement.

Avissar joined Duke’s Pratt School of Engineering in 2001, and served as the W.H. Gardner Professor and Chair of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering for five years. While serving as chair of the department, he increased fundraising from less than $1 million to $4.2 million and took the department to a No. 18 ranking in U.S. News & World Report.

“I am certainly humbled by the responsibilities and thrilled to be able to lead what I consider to be the top school of marine and atmospheric science in the country,” Avissar said. “It’s a great joy for me and I’m truly excited and looking forward to the hard work that lies in front of us to make the school an even better place.”

Avissar will be replacing Otis Brown, who has served as the dean of the school since 1995 and has been with UM since 1974. He will remain with the school, returning to the faculty.

Matthew Bunch

USA Diving announced the recipients of its annual awards at a ceremony in conjunction with the 2017 ...