Football

Patel: Canes football springing into new direction

Pravin Patel

Pravin Patel

The spring session has finally come to a close. The outcome: The defense falling victim to a 52-3 thumping by the offense, at the annual Spring Game.

Though a great deal of uncertainty has surrounded this team, with all the changes on the coaching staff, the team looks like it has cleared some of those clouds.

While the Spring Game was a nice showcase of some of what the team has been working on at practice, we really won’t know the true identity of this team until they kick things off in the fall.

With that said, here are my thoughts on what the spring has foretold:

1. Freshman quarterback Taylor Cook looks like he will be the man behind Jacory Harris. Cook has been impressive in practices and has been getting the snaps with the second team.

2. Fans should expect an offensive renaissance. First-year offensive coordinator Mark Whipple will be running a pro-style offense, which will look nothing like what we saw last year.

3. The Canes are deep at running back. The exciting part is that all of these guys can play. With Javarris James and Graig Cooper leading the way, the Canes were already sitting pretty. Adding freshmen Mike James and Lamar Miller and having Damien Berry transfer to the position gives the Canes serious options.

4. Secondary and linebacker the question mark positions. Randy Phillips and Vaughn Telemaque are likely to open the season at safety, while Brandon Harris and DeMarcus Van Dyke should get the nod at corner. The problem with these units, last year, was inconsistency and age. We will have to see who steps up here. Don’t be surprised if both areas see a lot of player shuffling throughout the season.

5. Impact freshmen: Running back Mike James and defensive lineman Olivier Vernon have shined during the spring. Expect James to make an impact on special teams, as the Canes are stacked at running back, and expect Vernon to get playing time behind Eric Moncur.

Pravin Patel

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...