‘The Amazing Race’ for the average person

University of Miami travelers with a sense of adventure and a taste for novelty can now live out their “Amazing Race” fantasies this summer with Competitours. With the all-new travel competition company, teams of two can book fixed trip dates lasting eight, 10, or 14 days. Like the reality TV show, travelers are given only a half day’s notice of their destinations and compete in challenges along the way to win a grand prize travel spree.

Unlike the do-or-die, high-adrenaline stunts and footraces to the finish marked by the show, challenges for Competitours are self-selected and based on creativity, giving travelers the ability to control what they see and where they go in each city.

“It’s a totally different way to experience Europe,” said Competitours President Steven Belkin. “It’s sight-doing. It’s not just going to see the Eiffel Tower, because anyone can do that. It’s going up to the top of the Eiffel Tower and convincing 10 people to do the can-can.”

But can Competitours live up to the show?

“Yes, but no,” said senior Aidin Lopez, who is majoring in education. “Part of the appeal of ‘The Amazing Race’ is the adventure and doing things you would never do, like climbing an ice wall or bungee jumping in an African ravine.”

Though the experience is not quite the same, it has the appeal of accessibility with its affordable trip options. “Just the flights to Europe can cost almost as much [as a Competitours package],” said senior Jonathan Merker, a creative writing major. “It’s a good alternative to reality TV.”

The idea seems to be taking off.

“Our inaugural trip is already sold out,” said Belkin.

Those wanting to compete, but not quite ready to send in their audition tape to CBS, can check out Competitours’ offers at www.competitours.com.
Info Box:

Trips range from $1,995 to $2,950 per person

Payment due after travel to ensure quality of experience

Grand prize includes up to 40 nights at over 115 hotel options in 51 countries

“The Amazing Race” season 14 airs Sundays, 8 p.m. on CBS

Carla Tabag

Contributing EDGE Writer

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

University of Miami cornerback Michael Jackson loves that turnover chain, but not nearly as much as ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The 13th annual UM Family Night with the Miami Marlins lives up to its name. ...

It’s been a year and half since his wife of almost 52 years, Nancy T. Clasby, a pioneering English p ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will begin the final weekend of its regular season wi ...

Eight members of the University of Miami track and field team earned All-ACC Academic honors for the ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Nine members of the University of Miami track and field team will represent the Hurricanes at the Vi ...

A pair of University of Miami divers were selected to the All-ACC Academic Women's Swimming ...