‘The Amazing Race’ for the average person

University of Miami travelers with a sense of adventure and a taste for novelty can now live out their “Amazing Race” fantasies this summer with Competitours. With the all-new travel competition company, teams of two can book fixed trip dates lasting eight, 10, or 14 days. Like the reality TV show, travelers are given only a half day’s notice of their destinations and compete in challenges along the way to win a grand prize travel spree.

Unlike the do-or-die, high-adrenaline stunts and footraces to the finish marked by the show, challenges for Competitours are self-selected and based on creativity, giving travelers the ability to control what they see and where they go in each city.

“It’s a totally different way to experience Europe,” said Competitours President Steven Belkin. “It’s sight-doing. It’s not just going to see the Eiffel Tower, because anyone can do that. It’s going up to the top of the Eiffel Tower and convincing 10 people to do the can-can.”

But can Competitours live up to the show?

“Yes, but no,” said senior Aidin Lopez, who is majoring in education. “Part of the appeal of ‘The Amazing Race’ is the adventure and doing things you would never do, like climbing an ice wall or bungee jumping in an African ravine.”

Though the experience is not quite the same, it has the appeal of accessibility with its affordable trip options. “Just the flights to Europe can cost almost as much [as a Competitours package],” said senior Jonathan Merker, a creative writing major. “It’s a good alternative to reality TV.”

The idea seems to be taking off.

“Our inaugural trip is already sold out,” said Belkin.

Those wanting to compete, but not quite ready to send in their audition tape to CBS, can check out Competitours’ offers at www.competitours.com.
Info Box:

Trips range from $1,995 to $2,950 per person

Payment due after travel to ensure quality of experience

Grand prize includes up to 40 nights at over 115 hotel options in 51 countries

“The Amazing Race” season 14 airs Sundays, 8 p.m. on CBS

Carla Tabag

Contributing EDGE Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “‘The Amazing Race’ for the average person”

1. Tyler MacNiven says:

I’m Tyler MacNiven, I won season 9 of the Amazing Race. If you want to race around the world without being a secret agent or Amazing Race contestant, then Competitours is the best bet. I’ve been itching for race-mode again so I signed up for a Competitours race this summer. I’ll be racing with the fastest lady I know: my Mother. It is a magical experience to charge through foreign landscapes with intense, fun, and creative missions. Competitours focuses more on creativity and fun than high level stress. Winning formula if you ask me. Come race with us!

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...