Arts and Sciences dean Halleran to become provost at William & Mary

halleran2

DEAN MICHAEL R. HALLERAN

Michael R. Halleran, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, will become the next provost at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Va., according to a statement from William & Mary president Taylor Reveley.

“Dr. Halleran is a teacher, scholar, and academic administrator of compelling distinction. He is committed to the liberal arts and to the sense of community that characterize William & Mary,” Reveley said in the release. “In my judgment, he will be an extraordinarily able provost.”

Halleran joined the school in 2005, among the first dean hires made by university president Donna E. Shalala. He came to UM from the University of Washington, where he specialized in classics.

“I am pleased to have this new opportunity, but I am sad to leave my colleagues and friends at UM,” Halleran said in a statement from the University of Miami. “It has been an honor to serve as dean of the College of Arts and Sciences for the past four years and a privilege to work with so many wonderful and dedicated individuals to move our great university forward.”

In his four years as the head of UM’s largest college, he created the first-year seminar program, the summer writing institute and raised the school’s fundraising from approximately $2 million to $7.6 million in 2007-2008.
“Michael Halleran brings to his new post the inquisitiveness of a fine scholar with the decisiveness of a seasoned administrator,” Shalala said. “The College of William & Mary has gained an academic leader and a truly wonderful, caring person as its new provost.”
Halleran will be replacing current provost P. Geoffrey Feiss on July 1, pending approval of the William & Mary Board of Visitors. Halleran was one of three finalists for the position, and visited the campus on Feb. 26 and 27.

Matthew Bunch

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...