Baseball

Antweil: Baseball team exceeding expectations, but how? I’ve got three reasons

STEVEN STUTS // HURRICANE STAFF

STEVEN STUTS // HURRICANE STAFF

When the 2009 University of Miami baseball roster was unveiled, no one knew what to expect. It looked like the drive to a fifth national championship would be in jeopardy, as this team has 14 newcomers. A third of the way through the season, the No. 2-ranked Hurricanes should be pleasantly surprised with their production thus far.

There are three reasons why this team has surpassed expectations:

1) Bullpen: The bullpen dominates and is definitely UM’s best asset. Coming into this week (through 22 games), the pen had an ERA of 1.67. The bullpen is anchored by standout closer Kyle Bellamy, who leads all ACC pitchers with six saves and is 3-0 this season. In 16 innings pitched, he has struck out 25 while allowing one earned run. Junior Taylor Wulf has been a solid setup man. He is tied for the team lead in appearances and has only given up one earned run in 11 outings. Junior Michael Rudman has been an unsung hero, as he has not allowed a run and surrendered two hits in 10.2 innings pitched.

2) David Gutierrez: Coming into this season, the only definitive spot in the pitching rotation was Friday night with Chris Hernandez. With the absence of Eric Erickson (elbow surgery), there was concern over who would step up and be an effective Saturday starter. Gutierrez has been that man for Miami. UM is 4-1 in games he starts. He works quickly and keeps hitters off balance with his curve ball. He leads the ACC in ERA (0.88).

3) Resiliency: The Hurricanes have 12 come-from-behind wins this season. They have the worst fielding percentage in the ACC, but they are able to overcome their defensive deficiencies with timely hitting. They have three home walk-off wins this season. They swept No. 12 UF in Gainesville, won two of three games against the surging Duke Blue Devils and handed Virginia its first two losses of the season this past weekend. This team is clutch and able to rise to the occasion.

Justin Antweil

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Antweil: Baseball team exceeding expectations, but how? I’ve got three reasons”

1. BP says:

Are you that guy from wvum… you’re awesome !

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...