Sports Briefs

TRACK AND FIELD

Junior Mikese Morse has been named the ACC Outdoor Track and Field Performer of the Week for his performance in last weekend’s Hurricane Invitational.

Morse posted a mark of 7.62m (25-00.00) in the long jump, passing the regional qualifying standard by nearly a foot.

ROWING

With three victories last week, the University of Miami First Varsity Eight boat was honored as the ACC’s initial 2009 Crew of the Week.

The Hurricanes’ First Varsity Eight crew is composed of seniors Marleena Eyre, Laura Cordner and Rachael Sporko; junior Karalyn Van Aken; sophomores Shira Kharrazi, Monika Sajincic, Emily Wingrove and Sarah Medland; and freshmen Camilla Espana and Frida Schneider. Van Aken substituted for Sajincic in Miami’s win over Connecticut, while Kharrazi served as the coxswain in all three wins.

CHARITY TENNIS TOURNAMENT

This Sunday, the Gamma Delta chapter of Alpha Delta Pi at the University of Miami will host its third annual Lion’s Share Challenge Tennis Tournament at Continental Park Tennis Center from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. Proceeds will benefit the Ronald McDonald House of Miami.

The Ronald McDonald House provides temporary housing for families of seriously ill children while they receive hospital treatment. The Miami house is located in the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Medical Center and has helped over 16,000 families since its opening 21 years ago.

Alpha Delta Pi has donated over $2 million to the Ronald McDonald House Charities since 1979, which makes the sorority the second largest donor, after McDonald’s. Last year’s tournament raised over $15,000.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...