Restaurant Review: Giardino Gourmet Salads

Healthy food at a fast-food pace: the newest branch of Giardino Gourmet Salads delivers on its promise to provide hungry patrons with nutritious meals and speedy service.

Friendly employees greet customers coming into the small but quaint restaurant on US-1. The tiny iron tables and faux-brick decor are reminiscent of a breezy sidewalk café.

Salads, available for eat-in, takeout or delivery, are made with fresh, natural ingredients in front of customers. They range from conventional salads like the Country Cobb, Traditional Caesar, and Greek Village, to original creations such as the Crab Louis (tomatoes, red peppers, red onions, egg, and crab), Napa (brie cheese, grapes, pecans, and olives), and Fizz (strawberries, walnuts, and blue cheese). Customers can also choose their own ingredients for a “My Way!” custom salad.

For an extra dollar, a scoop of one of the homemade mixed salads is a good way to add protein to an all-vegetable dish. Tropical chicken, creamy tuna and southwestern bean are just some of the options available, with the curry turkey standing out as an instant palate pleaser. These mixed additions can also be purchased separately by the pound.

Wraps can be made from any of the salad selections on rice paper or a tortilla. A soup of the day, also made with fresh vegetables, is a good complement to a salad or wrap.

Other highlights from the menu include the crisp and slightly sweetened vegetable chips and chocolate covered nuts. Delectable desserts include coconut date and nut balls, dry or fresh fruit, and ambrosia salad.

The one downside: the prices. The “piccolo,” or small salad, is reasonably priced at $6.50, but the largest is $11.00. The wraps are also reasonable at $6, but salad mixes like the curry turkey can range from $6-$10 per pound. A good idea would be to buy the piccolo and add a scoop of meat for a more filling meal or share a medium-sized “basta” ($8.75) or “grande” with a friend.

If You Go

What: Giardino Gourmet Salads

Where: The new South Miami branch is located on 6653 S. Dixie Highway

When: Monday-Friday 10 a.m.-8 p.m., Saturday 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Closed Sunday.

Price: $2.80 – $12.00

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...

After rallying to force a split, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miamis women's tennis team was u ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will wrap up the memorable 2018 season as No. 42 in t ...