Baseball

Baseball Matchups: Miami vs. Georgia Tech

Starting Pitching         Advantage: Georgia Tech

Georgia Tech’s weekend rotation has a combined record of 8-0. The Yellow Jackets’ ace, sophomore Derek McGuire, has a 1.87 ERA with 41 strikeouts, compared to nine walks. UM’s Saturday starter, David Gutierrez, has the best ERA, 0.88, in the ACC. Gutierrez has yet to allow more than one earned run in any of his five starts, while opponents are batting .196 against him. Sophomore Chris Hernandez picked up the first loss of his career, in 23 starts, last Friday against Virginia. He has a surprisingly high 4.76 ERA.

Bullpen                        Advantage: Miami

Miami’s bullpen has been impeccable. Heading into this week, the bullpen as a whole had an ERA of 1.67. The dynamic duo of Taylor Wulf and Kyle Bellamy only allowed two earned runs in 29.2 innings pitched. Georgia Tech has a solid closer of its own in freshman Mark Pope. In his last seven appearances, Pope is 2-0 with five saves.

Infield                         Advantage: Even

Defensively, Miami has committed the most errors in the ACC while Georgia Tech has committed the third fewest. Yellow Jackets third baseman Matt Skole is the reigning ACC Player of the Week. Georgia Tech first baseman Tony Plagman leads the team in average, hits and RBIs. Ryan Jackson is coming off his best offensive week of the season, when he belted three home runs. Miami second baseman Scott Lawson leads the team in hits, doubles, and total bases.

Outfield                      Advantage: Miami

Hurricane freshman outfielder Ted Blackman has been on a tear since being inserted in the starting lineup. He was 5-for-9 with two RBIs in Charlottesville this past weekend. Centerfielder Nathan Melendres hits .355 during weekend play. Georgia Tech’s catalyst is center fielder Jeff Rowland. He leads the team in stolen bases with six.

Justin Antweil

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...