Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: In response to last week’s Dear V

This letter is in response to last issue’s Dear V column (“Just because I’m an atheist doesn’t mean I’m amoral,” March 12) concerning an atheist seeking approval from family members and friends.

Dear Alone,

I am saddened, disappointed and angered by the way people of faith have treated you. As a Christian, I would like to apologize to you on behalf of my fellow brothers and sisters of my faith. We have wronged you (and no doubt many others on campus) in our failure to show you the love and kindness that Jesus Christ has taught us. In that, we have been poor representatives of who we believe God to be and what the Christian faith is about. Please forgive us.

Jesus said that it was the “sick” and “sinners” that he came to call, and that is who makes up the body of Christian believers. We are a faith of people whose souls are still sick with pride, hypocrisy, unkindness and even hate. However, we believe that God still acts to genuinely heal people’s hearts of these dark inclinations. Sadly though, many unbelievers rarely, if ever, get to see this process of healing and growth in us. Rather, it’s exactly the opposite they see. Again, let me apologize and ask for your forgiveness.

I want to say that I admire you in your honesty with yourself and others. In it, you have shown the courage to face your heart in spite of the subsequent rejection you’ve been shown. If there is a God, I don’t think that he delights much in us merely pretending to believe in him. I believe that he always wants us to be real with ourselves and honest as to what the deep convictions of our hearts are, and that takes bravery. You have gained so much of my respect in your refusal to continue to simply play a religious role. May I continually be more like you in that regard!

I feel obliged as a believer, if I may, to encourage you to continue to do what you are already doing: be open with your heart. I don’t expect I can persuade you to believe in God from this letter. Nor do I wish to. (I don’t think you should believe anything this important just because someone tells you to.) But I would encourage you to still consider the thought that perhaps there is a God here who fully shares your frustrations with religious hypocrites; he is more loving, forgiving, accepting, and real than we could ever imagine. Perhaps there is a God who blesses those who, upon a sincere spiritual self-examination, find themselves utterly bankrupt. Perhaps He was more tired of your pretending than you were, because he actually loves you. Perhaps you’re not alone; perhaps you just haven’t met Him yet.

Many blessings and much love!

-David Sargent
Junior

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...