Basketball

Underwhelming basketball season ends prematurely as Gators dump Canes fron NIT, 74-60

Guard Nick Calathes scored 21 points and center Alex Tyus added 13 as Florida jumped out to an early 20-2 lead and held on for a 74-60 victory against in-state rival Miami Friday night in the second round of the National Invitational Tournament.

The top-seeded Gators (25-10) improved to 18-1 at the O’Connell Center this season, tying a school record, and will host No. 2 seed Penn State on Tuesday night.

Forward Dwayne Collins led the Hurricanes (19-13) with 17 points and eight rebounds, while guard Jack McClinton was limited to just 13 points in his final collegiate game.

Miami started the season ranked No. 16 in the men’s poll, but dropped tough in-conference games to Georgia Tech, N.C. State and Maryland down the stretch.

As a team, Florida made seven of its first 10 shots and outrebounded the Canes 37-25 overall.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...