Basketball

Underwhelming basketball season ends prematurely as Gators dump Canes fron NIT, 74-60

Guard Nick Calathes scored 21 points and center Alex Tyus added 13 as Florida jumped out to an early 20-2 lead and held on for a 74-60 victory against in-state rival Miami Friday night in the second round of the National Invitational Tournament.

The top-seeded Gators (25-10) improved to 18-1 at the O’Connell Center this season, tying a school record, and will host No. 2 seed Penn State on Tuesday night.

Forward Dwayne Collins led the Hurricanes (19-13) with 17 points and eight rebounds, while guard Jack McClinton was limited to just 13 points in his final collegiate game.

Miami started the season ranked No. 16 in the men’s poll, but dropped tough in-conference games to Georgia Tech, N.C. State and Maryland down the stretch.

As a team, Florida made seven of its first 10 shots and outrebounded the Canes 37-25 overall.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...