Basketball

Underwhelming basketball season ends prematurely as Gators dump Canes fron NIT, 74-60

Guard Nick Calathes scored 21 points and center Alex Tyus added 13 as Florida jumped out to an early 20-2 lead and held on for a 74-60 victory against in-state rival Miami Friday night in the second round of the National Invitational Tournament.

The top-seeded Gators (25-10) improved to 18-1 at the O’Connell Center this season, tying a school record, and will host No. 2 seed Penn State on Tuesday night.

Forward Dwayne Collins led the Hurricanes (19-13) with 17 points and eight rebounds, while guard Jack McClinton was limited to just 13 points in his final collegiate game.

Miami started the season ranked No. 16 in the men’s poll, but dropped tough in-conference games to Georgia Tech, N.C. State and Maryland down the stretch.

As a team, Florida made seven of its first 10 shots and outrebounded the Canes 37-25 overall.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...