School of Business council to market the Red Cross

redcrosslogo

A group of students in the School of Business are taking on the task of market the Red Cross, one of the best known brands in the world, to people of their generation.

While the Red Cross is universally recognized as a sign of help and care, most people only volunteer during hurricane season or when a natural disaster occurs. The Red Cross desires to attract “volunteers for life” as opposed to just a couple of days. The University of Miami’s Hyperion Council has agreed to help with this initiative.

The Hyperion Council is a five year old undergraduate student organization in the School of Business focusing on developing projects to strengthen bonds between local businesses and university communities. Vice Dean Ellen McPhillip started the organization in conjunction with 4 of the founding members. Students must be a sophomore or junior in the School of Business to enter and there is a maximum of 19 Council Members.

Each year, the council initiates projects that link the university to at-risk communities and promotes important business concepts including market economics, entrepreneurship, personal and financial success, and business ethics to better each other, their community and their country.

“I am so proud of the members and their accomplishments,” said McPhillip, “What I like most is that the organization provides excellent leadership opportunities.”

Promoting the ideals of good corporate citizenship, the council embraces the Red Cross’s proposed objective. Specifically, the Red Cross wishes to rebrand by creating a new, more attractive image to target audience of 17-to-27 year-olds about their various services.

Members of the Hyperion Council are called Titans. Their mission is to embrace the values of integrity, resilience, fortitude, excellence and initiative, each Titan strives to enhance his/her surrounding community through generosity and innovation.

“We’ve moved into a phase where we’re researching all the different methods of getting the word out and the costs/benefits associated with them,” Titan Artie Pearsall said.

As the Red Cross is already popular, their efforts are not about awareness, more so creating a consistent presence. Afterwards, they check how everything is going and if they can do anything else to help.

“It’s going to be hard work, but we are committed. We have the whole Red Cross behind us,” Pearsall said.

Joi Bottino

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...