Basketball

Canes fall to Virginia Tech in ACC tournament, 65-47

Senior center Jimmy Graham appears dejected during the final moments of Miami's 65-47 loss to Virginia Tech. The defeat likely ends the Canes' hopes to get in the NCAA Tournament. COREY ERB // Hurricane Staff

Miami struggled in the second half Thursday and fell to Virginia Tech in the first round of the ACC Tournament, 65-47, ending their run in Atlanta and likely ending their major post-season hopes.

The Canes played close with the Hokies for much of the first half, trailing by four at the break. But a 14-0 run gave Virginia Tech a lead they would not relinquish.

Senior guard Jack McClinton struggled on the day, scoring only nine points and going 1-of-6 from beyond three-point range. The one three-point shot he made marked the 33rd straight game in which McClinton has hit a three-pointer, a school record.

Miami now waits for Sunday for the results from the NCAA Tournament selection committee, although with the loss, it’s virtually impossible for Miami to be selected. It’s much more likely that Miami will be selected to participate in the National Invitational Tournament, or NIT. Miami last participated in the NIT in 2006, losing in the first round.

For more from Atlanta and wherever Miami’s post-season may take them, visit Corey’s Stories at blogs.TheMiamiHurricane.com.

Matthew Bunch

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...