Sports Briefs

ROWING

The University of Miami rowing team opened up its season by taking the fastest Varsity 8 time in a tri-meet against the University of Rochester and Dowling College on Wednesday in Miami Beach.

Senior bow Marleena Eyre, seniors Laura Cordner and Rachael Sporko, sophomore coxswain Shira Kharraz, sophomores Monika Sajincic, Emily Wingrove and Sarah Medland, freshman stroke Frida Schneider and freshman Camilla Espana helped the team finish with a time of 6:52.06, ahead of Rochester’s 7:14.86 and Dowling’s 7:16.78.

Miami hosts the University of Connecticut today at 9 a.m.

FOOTBALL

Hurricane football’s first open practice of the spring will be held today at 6:30 p.m. at Traz Powell Stadium, located on the north campus of Miami-Dade College (11380 NW 27th Ave.). Fans will also have the opportunity to purchase season tickets.

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Senior guard Jack McClinton was one of two basketball players that received the Weaver-James-Corrigan Honorary Award. It recognizes individuals that intend to compete at the Olympics or professional level for their outstanding performance in both athletic competition and the classroom.

The Weaver-James-Corrigan Award is named in honor of the late Jim Weaver and Bob James, as well as Gene Corrigan, all former ACC commissioners.

Seniors Britta Boesing (women’s swimming & diving), Corynn Carino (women’s soccer) and Nene Kamate (women’s track & field) are recipients of the Weaver-James-Corrigan and Jim and Pat Thacker postgraduate scholarships. These $5,000 scholarships are awarded to student-athletes who intend to pursue a graduate degree.

TRACK/FIELD

Senior Murielle Ahoure, sophomore Ti’erra Brown and junior Mikese Morse will compete at the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships this weekend at Texas A&M’s McFerrin Athletic Center in College Station.

The 24th-ranked women’s team will be represented by Ahoure, the ACC Indoor Track and Field Performer of the Year and the top-ranked sprinter in the 60-meter dash (7.17 seconds) and third in the 200-meters (23.14 seconds). Brown, who earned All-American status last year in the 400-meter hurdles, is 16th in the 60-meter hurdles. Morse, an All-American, recorded a personal-best in the long jump at the ACC championships, where he reached a distance of 7.90m and took second place.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...

After rallying to force a split, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miamis women's tennis team was u ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will wrap up the memorable 2018 season as No. 42 in t ...