Phases and Stages: ‘Bookworm’ stage atones for past partying

While college freshmen may pass the test for partying, many upperclassmen learn to strive for high marks in the classroom during what a distinct period that may be called the “bookworm” stage.

Some University of Miami students, such as junior Kate Cross, said that because of either external pressure or internal motivation, they find themselves dedicating more time to school work and less to going out as the undergraduate experience progresses.

“I definitely started studying more after my freshman year when I found a more appropriate balance between homework and partying,” Cross said. “However, it wasn’t until my junior year that I got involved in extracurriculars in order to help me when it was time to apply to internships.”

Another student, sophomore Andrew Murphy, found that during freshmen year it was easy to balance studying and partying.

“First semester, this year, I’ve had to balance the two much more,” he said. “I would definitely say that the changes I’ve made to my study habits this year have helped me keep my academics quite whelming.”

And while some students do go through a “bookworm” phase, it appears to be a very individual process; there doesn’t seem to be a universal catalyst for this shift towards studying.

“For the most part, students of all ages are coming in for tutoring, though it does tend towards freshmen and sophomores slightly more,” said Najaly Lopez, an employee at the Academic Resource Center.

Roderick C. Gillis, an adjunct associate professor in the Department of Psychology, said that general attitudes towards academics may influence a college student’s study habits.

“College students think they are learning for the teacher or their parents or for the people who will one day look at their grades for a job,” Gillis said. “They do not understand that they should be learning for themselves. They are on their own quest but don’t yet realize it.”

Other UM students said they have kept up fairly consistent study habits, going out about as much as they did freshmen year, when the Miami nightlife was uncharted territory.

“I’ve always worked on my homework about the same amount,” junior Evan Ross said. “Getting my work done is a priority.”

Casey Clyde, also a junior, said that there has never been a specific point when he’s focused more on school, but noted that his study habits have developed with his increased workload.

“I have been progressively working harder as school has become more difficult,” Clyde added.

It would seem that a highly motivated, heavily school-related phase of college does exist for some students, but there is no general cause. For some students it’s the motivation of choosing a career path, for others it’s impending graduation, and for others it’s receiving a bad grade as a result of poor study habits. The one common thread among these students seems to be the realization that college is not a break from reality but rather a preparation for it.

Tips for balancing a social life with schoolwork

Study during the week, leaving weekends open for going out

Schedule time for studying and set time goals – help yourself be more productive

Get enough sleep and develop a healthy routine

Claire Wolford

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...