Tennis

Canes blank Noles, win 7-0

For the fifth time this season, the University of Miami women’s tennis team personified perfection on the scoreboard.

Its latest victim: rival and No. 24 Florida State, who fell victim to the sixth-ranked Hurricanes, 7-0, Wednesday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Center.

After splitting a pair of conference matches against top 10 opponents this past weekend, Miami (13-3, 3-1) won all six singles matches and took the doubles point by winning two-of-three against the Seminoles (7-4, 0-2).

“I’m just really proud of the girls. They came out and beat an exceptional team, and looking at the scores, especially at one and two, to be able to come out and just take them out like that in straight sets says a lot about the top of our lineup,” head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “Overall it was a bit of a statement match and we’ve kind of turned the corner coming into matches dominating rather than just existing.”

Sophomore Julia Cohen, fresh off upsets of two top-five singles players, including Clemson’s top-ranked Ani Mijacika, continued her hot streak with a convincing 6-3, 6-1 victory in the first position.

“It’s really exciting because going into this match I knew Miami lost to them twice last year,” said Cohen, who transferred from Florida and is the ACC Women’s Tennis Player of the Week. “I’m focusing better than my opponent and understanding my game better. Paige helped me out a lot.”

Miami hosts three noon matches next week, starting with No. 28 Arkansas (6-3) on Wednesday, No. 17 North Carolina (11-4, 2-0) Friday and third-ranked Duke (10-1) Sunday.

“They’re three great teams and that’s kind of Miami’s style, Miami’s mentality: to get us ready for ACCs and get us ready for NCAAs,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “I like to not just play tough matches, but play tough matches pretty close to one another so the kids are tough and ready to play back-to-back matches come May.”

SINGLES
#1 (No.13) Julia Cohen beat (No.38) Noemie Scharle, 6-3, 6-1
#2 (No.39) Laura Vallverdu beat (No.41) Katie Rybakova, 6-2, 6-2
#3 (No.40) Bianca Eichkorn beat Laura Macfarlane, 1-6, 6-3, 11-9
#4 (No.63) Michaela Kissell beat (No.93) Federica Suess, 6-3, 6-1
#5 Gabriela Mejia beat Ania Rynarzewska, 6-3, 7-5
#6 Claudia Wasilewski beat Jessica Sucupira (Wente), 6-1, 1-6, 10-6

DOUBLES
#1 (No.32) Vallverdu/Kissell beat Scharle/Rybakova, 8-0
#2 Cohen/Eichkorn beat Suess/Sucupira (Wente), 8-1
#3 Mcfarlane/Bonny Davidson beat Mejia/Wasilewski, 8-3

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...