AMELIA ISLAND for Spring Break

ILLUSTRATION BY LAURA PATRICELLI  

ILLUSTRATION BY LAURA PATRICELLI

Amelia Island, just 45 minutes outside of Jacksonville, is hosting its annual automotive charity event, Concours d’Elégance, at the Ritz-Carlton during the first weekend of spring break. The event is a weekend full of auctions and competitions for rare vintage cars that have been restored to mint condition by their owners, with the purpose of supporting charity organizations such as Community Hospice. The cars compete for best in show as judged by a panel of automotive experts who base their scores on the exterior appearance of the car, rather than the internal mechanics. The cars are judged on quality of restoration, authenticity and style. Though many of the events for the weekend are expensive and exclusive to members, Concours also offers inexpensive activities and some that are open and free to the public. Prices range from free to $300. Car buffs, try not to drool while gawking at the hundreds of rare beauties lining up in the Ritz. For more information, visit www.ameliaconcours.org

Carey Goldenberg

Senior EDGE Writer

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...