Sudan documentary to be shown at Baptist Collegiate Ministry

Imagine living in a place that is so uncivilized, so dangerous, that its inhabitants would walk over a thousand miles through bomb-ridden fields with minimal food and water just to escape.

That was reality for the “lost boys” of Sudan, whose journey to America and adjustment to modern culture is documented in the award-winning film God Grew Tired of Us. Their story is one of triumph, inspiration and hope.

There will be a screening of the film  Tuesday at the Baptist Collegiate Ministry (BCM) building on campus. The event will be co-sponsored by MiamiBCM, Mosaic Church, S.T.A.N.D., Invisible Children, Rotaract and Amnesty International.

“We each do our part in our circles of influence, but the reason for this night is to unify the student body for a common cause,” said Frank Zadravecz, a member of BCM’s leadership team.

Groups ranging from religious organizations to international anti-genocide and human rights associations worked together to bring this film to UM.

“We all have different ways of reaching the same message, which is that all human beings deserve to be treated with dignity and respect,” said Melissa Meade, a vice president of Rotaract and executive board member of Amnesty International. “This movie is a chance to spread the power of somebody’s story and make it real in the lives of college students.”

“We are always excited to work with other student organizations that are trying to make a difference, and the screening of God Grew Tired of Us is such an amazing opportunity…to expose students to social issues that we are all passionate about,” said Chelsea Werner, the president of Invisible Children.

Stephanie Sandhu, a member of S.T.A.N.D., agrees.

“It is only when we unite and organize together that progress will happen,” Sandhu said.

If You Go

What: Screening of God Grew Tired of Us, a documentary about refugees of civil war in Sudan

When: Tuesday, March 10 at 8 p.m.

Where: Baptist Collegiate Ministry, across the street from Mahoney-Pearson.

Cost: Free

Jenna King

Contributing Columnist

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...