Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL

Starting quarterback Jacory Harris completed his first 17 passes as he alternated series with quarterbacks Cannon Smith and Taylor Cook. He led the first team offense on a scoring drive during its first possession, which was capped off by a Graig Cooper one-yard touchdown run. The offense also scored on a Lee Chambers one-yard run in a goal line situation.

Safety Vaughn Telemaque and cornerback Brandon McGee each recorded interceptions. McGee, who joined the team in January, returned his 35 yards for a touchdown.

Miami’s first open scrimmage will take place at Traz Powell Stadium this Thursday.

TRACK/FIELD

Senior sprinter Murielle Ahoure was named the ACC’s Indoor Track and Field Performer of the Year after her performance at the ACC Indoor Championships during the last weekend of February.

Ahoure won both the 60 and 200-meter conference titles. She set the 200-meter meet record in the qualifying run with a time of 23.16, but broke it in the finals at 23.14.

The Bristow, Va., native will compete at the NCAA National Indoor Championships in College Station, Texas, March 13-14.

Soccer

Former University of Miami women’s soccer player Sheuneen Ta has been added to the roster of the Washington Freedom of Women’s Professional Soccer (WPS).

Ta was a Hurricane from 2003-2007 and played in 66 matches. She is tied for sixth place with 13 assists on the program’s all-time list. As a captain in 2007, Ta led the Canes to the team’s first NCAA tournament appearance since 2001.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...