Performance artist, poet to visit UM to speak on Haiti

GINA ATHENA ULYSSE

GINA ATHENA ULYSSE

Performance artist and poet Gina Athena Ulysse will be at the University of Miami next week, crossing the border between art and science to tell the story of a nation.

Ulysse will perform in a concert on March 9 at the College of Arts and Sciences’ Wesley Gallery and hold a workshop the following day. She is also an associate professor of anthropology and African-American studies at Wesleyan University who has presented her performance at conferences and other schools throughout the nation.

The performance, titled “Because When God is Too Busy: Haiti, Me and the World,” will include poetry, stories and excerpts from Ulysse’s memoir, as well as Vodou chants that will be woven throughout the presentation.

According to Daniella Suarez, a UM senior majoring in Latin American Studies, Ulysse is a spoken-word artist. She aims to weave her Haitian culture into her spoken word, addressing issues of social inequalities.

“Through her spoken word, she is able to let out an outcry for her people because it obviously hurts her to see that her people are treated as second class,” Suarez said.

“With this work, I try to make Haiti subjective,” Ulysse said. “It’s not just out there. Away from us. It’s not abstract and denying its presence will not make it go away. We all had a hand is where Haiti is today.”

Ulysse prefers to refer to her performance as her chance to “holler” for Haiti or bring a bit of “rage on the stage.”

The performance on March 9 will be followed by a “talk-back” discussion with the audience and is free of charge.

Ulysse will conduct an interactive workshop the following day to discuss the impact of the border between art and science on the search for explaining a full subject.

“More specifically, I mean how does one write about human conditions if the human is split along the lines of the visceral and the structural,” Ulysse said.

The workshop will begin with a short presentation by Ulysse and will extend into an extensive question and answer section.

“Students will enjoy it,” Suarez said. “It’s not just like an academic lecture where you sit down and are going to be bored, it’s going to be something you are going to enjoy and learn something from.”

Ulysse said that the goal of the workshop is to achieve awareness that we are actually disembodied subjects.

“Ultimately, this comes back to Haiti and other place in the world with more horror,” Ulysse said. “I think these issues are important because I do think that it is appalling how comfortable we as human beings have become with horror. We are so desensitized that it takes increasingly greater numbers to get us to react and become outraged at any injustice. Again, for me, one is one too many.”

For more information, contact umclas@miami.edu.

Samantha Hickey

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

After a double-bye, the fourth-seeded and No. 15-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Ch ...

The Hurricanes will compete in the 54-hole Austin Regional at the University of Texas Golf Club from ...

The Hurricanes are headed to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete at the inaugural National Relay Champion ...

For the final time in his storied career, Miami head coach Jim Morris and his Hurricanes will make t ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...