Basketball

Men’s basketball team wins on senior day

onlinehug

Senior Jack McClinton hugs head coach Frank Haith as he comes off the BankUnited Center court for the last time to a standing ovation. McClinton is regarded as one of the best players ever to play for Miami. ALEX BROADWELL // Hurricane Staff

On senior day, Jack McClinton didn’t carry the Miami Hurricanes by himself. Key baskets by guard Lance Hurdle, aggressive rebounding by Brian Asbury and tough defense by Jimmy Graham propelled the Hurricanes to a crucial 72-64 victory over North Carolina State.

“It was a great win for us,” head coach Frank Haith said. “Just time and time again, the seniors, all four of them, had a play to contribute to us winning that ball game, in the last five or six minutes of the game. That was great to see.”

But Miami (18-7, 7-9) didn’t control N.C. State from the start. The Canes trailed 30-21 at halftime and looked like they didn’t have any fight left in them. However, the Hurricanes came out of halftime with force, going on an 11-0 run that put them up 31-30.

The separation really came when Hurdle hit a 3-pointer to extend Miami’s lead to 60-53 with 1:53 and end N.C. State’s (16-13, 6-10) hopes.

“I just didn’t want to go out with a loss,” Hurdle said. “This [senior]class is very special. I want to cherish their last time, so I had to leave it all on the floor.”

Miami will be the No. 9 seed in ACC play and will play Virginia Tech in the first round at the Georgia Dome. The Hurricanes probably need at least two wins in the confernce tournament to secure an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament. If they win all three in ACC play, they will get an automatic bid.

“I want our guys to go to that tournament feeling like we’re going to win the championship and try to win the ACC tournament,” Haith said. “We have to worry about what’s in front of us.”

In order to keep their hopes up for a successful run in the ACC tournament and keep their NCAA tournament bid alive, one thing the Canes should worry about is the play of McClinton. McClinton, against N.C. State, again struggled with his shooting touch, hitting three of 15 shots, and he didn’t have a field goal in the first half.  

“We need him,” Haith said.

Despite all that the Canes must do in order to keep their tourney hopes alive, Haith is looking at things one game at a time, and, against N.C. State, it was all about his seniors.

“They laid the foundation for Miami basketball,” he said. “I’m very honored to have coached these young men.”

Lelan LeDoux

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...