Greeks top goal during blood drive, collecting 1,015 units

This year’s annual Greek Week blood drive, themed “Blood Wars,” came to a close Thursday with a turnout of approximately 1,200 participants, including students, faculty, staff, alumni and members of the local community. Last year’s turnout was around 900 participants.

One of the core sponsors of the event, Blue Bell Ice Cream sponsored a new aspect of the drive this year: the Pint for Pint program. Students received a pint of ice cream for donating a pint of blood. With a goal of collecting 1,000 units of blood, the Greeks succeeded in collecting a total of 1,015, compared to last year’s 849 units collected. A unit of blood comprises whole blood, platelets and plasma donations. It is reported that the last time Greek Week collected 1,000 units of blood was seven years ago, according to information from Community Blood Centers of South Florida.

The sorority Delta Phi Epsilon and the Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity had the highest participation rates and were awarded trophies from Blue Bell Ice Cream, according to Leslie Elus, a senior and a Greek Week blood drive co-chair.

“A lot more people were involved this year and I’m very pleased with the turnout,” said Megan Anderson, a co-chair of Greek Week. All of the proceeds will go to United Cerebral Palsy of South Florida.

The blood drive is one of many events during the week-long Greek competition between numerous fraternities and sororities. The Greek organization with the highest percentage of donated blood would win the war.

“It’s my third time giving blood. It helps out my sorority but I always did it in the past since it’s for a good cause,” sophomore Liz Agans said.

Students and faculty donated blood at the UC Flamingo Ballroom beginning on Monday.

“This year, we focused on encouraging Greek and non- Greek students alike to come out and donate their time and blood for the cause,” Elus said.

Many non-Greek students did not hesitate to help save a life.

“I think it’s a good idea because a lot of people that wouldn’t normally do it come out, and there’s free food,” sophomore Leslie Boodry said.

Mikaela Green

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...