ChabadUM to present Purim concert

Chabad at the University of Miami presents “Purim Concert on the Patio” in celebration of the Jewish holiday Purim this Tuesday on the UC Patio.

ChabadUM is sponsoring the free event. Organizations including Hillel, Zeta Beta Tau, Sigma Delta Tau and Sigma Alpha Mu will be participating in the event. Live music will be played by Hasidic rap star Dr. Laz.

David Lazerson, also known as Dr. Laz, has been featured on CNN, ESPN, the USA network and many others. His music features an eclectic blend of rap, rock, blues, reggae, jazz, bluegrass and gospel.

“We want people to come out and celebrate Chabad,” said Rabbi Mendy Fellig, a Jewish chaplain at UM. “Having the event on campus helps foster the Jewish community. We also invite those people who are not Jewish so they, too, can learn something about the culture.”

There will be a raffle, a falafel lunch, an all-you-can-eat Hamentash bar and Megillah readings.

The reading of the Megillah, or scroll, is the first religious ceremony for the celebration of Purim and, according to Fellig, is customarily read every night. The readings will be held in the upstairs of the UC and will be read on the hour, every hour, beginning at 11 a.m.

The event is Tuesday and will take place from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor