ChabadUM to present Purim concert

Chabad at the University of Miami presents “Purim Concert on the Patio” in celebration of the Jewish holiday Purim this Tuesday on the UC Patio.

ChabadUM is sponsoring the free event. Organizations including Hillel, Zeta Beta Tau, Sigma Delta Tau and Sigma Alpha Mu will be participating in the event. Live music will be played by Hasidic rap star Dr. Laz.

David Lazerson, also known as Dr. Laz, has been featured on CNN, ESPN, the USA network and many others. His music features an eclectic blend of rap, rock, blues, reggae, jazz, bluegrass and gospel.

“We want people to come out and celebrate Chabad,” said Rabbi Mendy Fellig, a Jewish chaplain at UM. “Having the event on campus helps foster the Jewish community. We also invite those people who are not Jewish so they, too, can learn something about the culture.”

There will be a raffle, a falafel lunch, an all-you-can-eat Hamentash bar and Megillah readings.

The reading of the Megillah, or scroll, is the first religious ceremony for the celebration of Purim and, according to Fellig, is customarily read every night. The readings will be held in the upstairs of the UC and will be read on the hour, every hour, beginning at 11 a.m.

The event is Tuesday and will take place from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...