Baseball

Canes blank Wolfpack, win 4-0

Starter David Gutierrez (2-0) threw six scoreless innings of three-hit ball and two relievers pitched another three hitless as No. 8 Miami beat N.C. State 4-0 on Saturday night at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field.

Despite throwing a complete game, Wolfpack starter Jack Buchanan (1-1) took the loss as he allowed four runs.

Leadoff hitter Nathan Melendres went two for four with an RBI and extended his hit streak to 11 to start his collegiate career. Junior Chris Herrmann knocked a solo shot for the Hurricanes (9-2, 2-0) in the cleanup spot.

Miami scored in three consecutive innings against the Wolfpack (7-4, 0-2), starting in the second. Preseason All-American Ryan Jackson knocked in one with a sacrifice fly and junior Jason Hagerty, a night after hitting a two-run, walk-off homer, produced an RBI groundout.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...