Baseball

Canes blank Wolfpack, win 4-0

Starter David Gutierrez (2-0) threw six scoreless innings of three-hit ball and two relievers pitched another three hitless as No. 8 Miami beat N.C. State 4-0 on Saturday night at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field.

Despite throwing a complete game, Wolfpack starter Jack Buchanan (1-1) took the loss as he allowed four runs.

Leadoff hitter Nathan Melendres went two for four with an RBI and extended his hit streak to 11 to start his collegiate career. Junior Chris Herrmann knocked a solo shot for the Hurricanes (9-2, 2-0) in the cleanup spot.

Miami scored in three consecutive innings against the Wolfpack (7-4, 0-2), starting in the second. Preseason All-American Ryan Jackson knocked in one with a sacrifice fly and junior Jason Hagerty, a night after hitting a two-run, walk-off homer, produced an RBI groundout.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

After a double-bye, the fourth-seeded and No. 15-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Ch ...

The Hurricanes will compete in the 54-hole Austin Regional at the University of Texas Golf Club from ...

The Hurricanes are headed to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete at the inaugural National Relay Champion ...

For the final time in his storied career, Miami head coach Jim Morris and his Hurricanes will make t ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...