Baseball

Walk-off home run wins it for Canes in extras, 7-6

Junior Jason Hagerty hit a two-run blast in the bottom of the 12th to give No. 8 Miami a 7-6 comeback victory against N.C. State Friday night at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field.

The Hurricanes (8-2, 1-0) came back from two late deficits – one in the ninth and one in the 12th. Freshmen Harold Martinez and Nathan Melendres each had a pair of RBIs, while Kyle Bellamy (1-0) threw three innings of relief and allowed no earned runs for the win. His ERA remains a perfect 0.00 on the season.

Preseason All-American Chris Hernandez avoided his first career loss after giving up three runs over six innings and trailing 3-1 when junior Chris Herrmann scored in the ninth on a wild pitch with one out. In the eighth, Martinez drove in two with two outs to make the score 5-4.

Reliever Kyle Rutter (1-1) allowed just one hit in three innings – Hagerty’s long ball – but took the loss for the Wolfpack (7-3, 0-1). The Pack snapped their seven-game winning streak.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Five years and two days after being fired as FIU’s football coach, at least one report declares form ...

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...