Baseball

Walk-off home run wins it for Canes in extras, 7-6

Junior Jason Hagerty hit a two-run blast in the bottom of the 12th to give No. 8 Miami a 7-6 comeback victory against N.C. State Friday night at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field.

The Hurricanes (8-2, 1-0) came back from two late deficits – one in the ninth and one in the 12th. Freshmen Harold Martinez and Nathan Melendres each had a pair of RBIs, while Kyle Bellamy (1-0) threw three innings of relief and allowed no earned runs for the win. His ERA remains a perfect 0.00 on the season.

Preseason All-American Chris Hernandez avoided his first career loss after giving up three runs over six innings and trailing 3-1 when junior Chris Herrmann scored in the ninth on a wild pitch with one out. In the eighth, Martinez drove in two with two outs to make the score 5-4.

Reliever Kyle Rutter (1-1) allowed just one hit in three innings – Hagerty’s long ball – but took the loss for the Wolfpack (7-3, 0-1). The Pack snapped their seven-game winning streak.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...