Canes blow by Boston College, 6-1

After moving up four spots in the ITA poll to No. 6, the University of Miami women’s tennis team took care of business by handling No. 58 Boston College, 6-1, Thursday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

For the first time in four matches, Miami picked up the doubles point for an early 1-0 advantage against the Eagles (4-4, 0-2).

Heading into their ACC opener, the Hurricanes (11-2, 1-0) were 57-12 in singles play on the season and 12-0 over the past two matches facing No. 18 Michigan and No. 21 TCU.

Sophomore Bianca Eichkorn, ranked No. 40, did not compete in singles on the day.

Miami will head on the road for back-to-back matches Saturday and Sunday at No. 8 Georgia Tech (5-4) and No. 9 Clemson. The Tigers (8-4) were last year’s ACC Tournament champions.

(No. 13) Julia Cohen beat Lana Krasnopolsky, 6-3, 6-2
(No. 39) Laura Vallverdu beat Lauren Cash, 6-1, 6-1
(No. 63) Michaela Kissell beat Katarina Gajic, 6-1, 6-0
Gabriela Mejia beat Katharine Attwell, 6-0, 6-4
Claudia Wasilewski beat Alina Sullivan, 7-6, 7-5
Alessa Waibel lost to Brittany, Delaney 2-6, 6-4, 2-10

(No. 32) Kissell/Vallverdu beat Cash/Sullivan, 8-1
Eichkorn/Mejia beat Attwell/Krasnopolsky, 8-5
Cohen/Wasilewski lost to Gajic/Mabatah, 8-6

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Sophomore Bruce Brown announced Thursday that he has declared for the 2018 NBA Draft, the University ...

Lots of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday, with the second spring practice session set for Thursday mo ...

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

Women’s Commission’s 47th annual breakfast honors those who stand up to make a difference for women ...

The Kislak Center opens, aims to advance new forms of scholarship and build bridges across the Unive ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s Miami-spiced book talk spotlighted the One Book, One U initiative. ...

As part of the “It’s On Us” initiative, the former vice president urged the UM community to help com ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Chalk round two up to Raymond Gil, who made amends with a walk-off single to send the Hurricanes pas ...

The Hurricanes set two school records in the men's throws and had two female student-athletes p ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was on the verge of knocking down top-ranked Wake For ...

The University of Miami volleyball team hosts Florida Atlantic University at the James L. Knight Spo ...

The University of Miami Hurricane Club is excited to announce the official 2018 Building Champions S ...