Tennis

Canes blow by Boston College, 6-1

After moving up four spots in the ITA poll to No. 6, the University of Miami women’s tennis team took care of business by handling No. 58 Boston College, 6-1, Thursday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

For the first time in four matches, Miami picked up the doubles point for an early 1-0 advantage against the Eagles (4-4, 0-2).

Heading into their ACC opener, the Hurricanes (11-2, 1-0) were 57-12 in singles play on the season and 12-0 over the past two matches facing No. 18 Michigan and No. 21 TCU.

Sophomore Bianca Eichkorn, ranked No. 40, did not compete in singles on the day.

Miami will head on the road for back-to-back matches Saturday and Sunday at No. 8 Georgia Tech (5-4) and No. 9 Clemson. The Tigers (8-4) were last year’s ACC Tournament champions.

SINGLES
#1
(No. 13) Julia Cohen beat Lana Krasnopolsky, 6-3, 6-2
#2
(No. 39) Laura Vallverdu beat Lauren Cash, 6-1, 6-1
#3
(No. 63) Michaela Kissell beat Katarina Gajic, 6-1, 6-0
#4
Gabriela Mejia beat Katharine Attwell, 6-0, 6-4
#5
Claudia Wasilewski beat Alina Sullivan, 7-6, 7-5
#6
Alessa Waibel lost to Brittany, Delaney 2-6, 6-4, 2-10

DOUBLES
#1
(No. 32) Kissell/Vallverdu beat Cash/Sullivan, 8-1
#2
Eichkorn/Mejia beat Attwell/Krasnopolsky, 8-5
#3
Cohen/Wasilewski lost to Gajic/Mabatah, 8-6

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...