UM student dies in Singapore while studying abroad

A photo of Scott Monat on his Facebook rememberance page, "RIP Scott Monat"

UPDATED 3/4/09 6:55 P.M.

A University of Miami student studying abroad at the National University of Singapore has died.

Scott Jared Monat, a second-year neurobiology major, was found in a student housing kitchen at approximately 6 a.m. local time Wednesday morning, according to The Campus Observer, the student newspaper of NUS. It’s unclear at this time whether he was dead in the kitchen or died in medical care. A report from the Straits Times, the largest English-language newspaper in the country, is reporting that he was in Prince George’s Parks Residences, a location popular among international students and an option for living for UM students who study abroad in Singapore, according to the school’s Web site.

“He and some others had been making noise in the kitchen, then around that time he fainted,” said third-year engineering student Christopher Aldo to The Observer.

The cause of death has yet to be released by police in Singapore. The Straits Times is reporting that local police are handling the case as an unnatural death and are investigating.

Monat was a National Merit Scholar who attended Pope High School in Mariette, Ga. before he came to UM and received the Isaac Bashevis Singer scholarship, the highest scholarship awarded at the university. He was also a member of the College of Arts and Sciences’ Edward T. and Roberta Foote Fellows. He was also very involved in Hillel, the Jewish student center on campus.

“He was a great guy, good friend,” said Robyn Fischer, a rabbinical director at Hillel. “[Hillel] was a home away from home for him.”

According to a Facebook event site, there will be a gathering for Monat tonight at Hillel beginning at 8 p.m.

“The university offers its deepest sympathies and support to Scott’s family and friends during this difficult time,” a statement from UM’s media department said.”The university is working closely with his host university, the National University of Singapore, and the authorities in Singapore.”

According to university spokeswoman Margot Winick, there will be an event tomorrow night in the Hecht Residential College master’s apartment from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Counseling staff will be available.

Matthew Bunch

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

After a double-bye, the fourth-seeded and No. 15-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Ch ...

The Hurricanes will compete in the 54-hole Austin Regional at the University of Texas Golf Club from ...

The Hurricanes are headed to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete at the inaugural National Relay Champion ...

For the final time in his storied career, Miami head coach Jim Morris and his Hurricanes will make t ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...