UM student dies in Singapore while studying abroad

A photo of Scott Monat on his Facebook rememberance page, "RIP Scott Monat"

UPDATED 3/4/09 6:55 P.M.

A University of Miami student studying abroad at the National University of Singapore has died.

Scott Jared Monat, a second-year neurobiology major, was found in a student housing kitchen at approximately 6 a.m. local time Wednesday morning, according to The Campus Observer, the student newspaper of NUS. It’s unclear at this time whether he was dead in the kitchen or died in medical care. A report from the Straits Times, the largest English-language newspaper in the country, is reporting that he was in Prince George’s Parks Residences, a location popular among international students and an option for living for UM students who study abroad in Singapore, according to the school’s Web site.

“He and some others had been making noise in the kitchen, then around that time he fainted,” said third-year engineering student Christopher Aldo to The Observer.

The cause of death has yet to be released by police in Singapore. The Straits Times is reporting that local police are handling the case as an unnatural death and are investigating.

Monat was a National Merit Scholar who attended Pope High School in Mariette, Ga. before he came to UM and received the Isaac Bashevis Singer scholarship, the highest scholarship awarded at the university. He was also a member of the College of Arts and Sciences’ Edward T. and Roberta Foote Fellows. He was also very involved in Hillel, the Jewish student center on campus.

“He was a great guy, good friend,” said Robyn Fischer, a rabbinical director at Hillel. “[Hillel] was a home away from home for him.”

According to a Facebook event site, there will be a gathering for Monat tonight at Hillel beginning at 8 p.m.

“The university offers its deepest sympathies and support to Scott’s family and friends during this difficult time,” a statement from UM’s media department said.”The university is working closely with his host university, the National University of Singapore, and the authorities in Singapore.”

According to university spokeswoman Margot Winick, there will be an event tomorrow night in the Hecht Residential College master’s apartment from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Counseling staff will be available.

Matthew Bunch

10 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “UM student dies in Singapore while studying abroad”

1. Sue Brook says:

Scott was a student of mine when he was at Tritt Elementary School. I taught students who were intellectually gifted and Scott was one of the brightest. I send my sincerest condolences to his family. I know that all who knew him are filled with the fondest memories.

Sue Brook

2. Sarah Schwadron says:

“HaMakom yenachem et’chem b’toch shar avay’lay Tzion vee’Yerushalayim; May you be comforted amongst all the mourners of Jerusalem!”
    I am crying such sad tears sitting here in shock at this heartbreaking devestating news.
    I am so so sad.
    I can’t begin to describe the deep respect and appreciation, and love I had for Scott. Such a truly unique and special person.
    This loss is terribly painful for each of us and for the whole Jewish people!
    Scott made our trip in New York a whole different experience.
    Easy going, warm, loving, and a smile that lit up the room, music, laughter…. so much from one person, so much from one soul!
    … and all this from meeting him for 10 days!
    The pain must be unbearable and I am so sorry for your pain.
    I know he was your lifeline.

I hope we can offer you some strength and support.
    All my love!
    Sarah

3. Kat says:

Zach and Mr and Mrs Monat
    The High Meadows Camp family has you all in our thoughts and prayers.

4. Karen Dorton says:

Ilene: My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. I am heartbroken at your loss. Jared is beside himself with worry and sorrow for you. Please know our family is with you in spirit in this most tragic time. I hope and pray you can return to school soon and continue to help Jared each week. God Bless you and we love you.

Karen, Todd and Jared Dorton

5. Jason Molinet says:

My thoughts are with the family.

6. Kathy White says:

Ilene

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family in this time of need.

Kathy

7. Julie Guerra says:

Ilene,
    My heart is broken for you. I just want to say that I love you so much and I am praying for your comfort and peace now. I know how deeply you love your sons. I know that Scott is a child of God and he is with his Father in Heaven and surrounded by His love. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your sweet family at this difficult time.
    With love,
    Julie Guerra

8. Margaret Tinsley says:

Scott will be remembered for a long time as his parents loved him much. Bless you son and keep your parents safe. Much love to Richard and Ilene

9. The Shein Family Of Nassau County NY our hearts and prayers are with you we also lost our son A UM senior due to a drunk driver here in NY over thanksgiving break. Nov 08 we share in your painand loss, We will keep you in our prayers.R.I.P.Scott

Mr.and Mrs.Shein & family

10. vicki unger hochman says:

Broken hearted parents and family:

The Hochman Family ’75, of Roslyn, NY extend to you our deepest sympathy on the sudden loss of Scott. Sadly we too lost our son and understand the complete and finality of such a loss. You will be in our prayers.

Vicki and Warren Unger/Krevat/Hochman

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...