U2’s newest not essential but worth a listen

Over time, U2’s music has become well acquainted with extravagant events – the Super Bowl, political rallies, sold-out stadium concerts – but that does not mean that U2 isn’t willing to take risks with their music. No Line on the Horizon is representative of the more daring side of U2, and while almost nothing on this album is on par with some of their classic albums, it stands alone in its own right.

While No Line features one of the worst-titled tracks ever (“I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight”), songs like “Stand Up Comedy” and “Get On Your Boots” (with which they opened this year’s Grammy Awards) are worthy. The beautiful, sparse “Moment of Surrender” is the stand-out song of No Line, and, in time, it may reach the notoriety of “Beautiful Day” or “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” as one of the band’s signature songs.

No Line is certainly not one of U2’s essential works, but it’s worth a listen if only to get listeners excited for the tour that is sure to follow the album’s release. Still, for a look at the classic U2, look to Achtung Baby or All That You Can’t Leave Behind.

Rating: 2.5/4 stars

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...