U2’s newest not essential but worth a listen

Over time, U2’s music has become well acquainted with extravagant events – the Super Bowl, political rallies, sold-out stadium concerts – but that does not mean that U2 isn’t willing to take risks with their music. No Line on the Horizon is representative of the more daring side of U2, and while almost nothing on this album is on par with some of their classic albums, it stands alone in its own right.

While No Line features one of the worst-titled tracks ever (“I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight”), songs like “Stand Up Comedy” and “Get On Your Boots” (with which they opened this year’s Grammy Awards) are worthy. The beautiful, sparse “Moment of Surrender” is the stand-out song of No Line, and, in time, it may reach the notoriety of “Beautiful Day” or “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” as one of the band’s signature songs.

No Line is certainly not one of U2’s essential works, but it’s worth a listen if only to get listeners excited for the tour that is sure to follow the album’s release. Still, for a look at the classic U2, look to Achtung Baby or All That You Can’t Leave Behind.

Rating: 2.5/4 stars

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...

After rallying to force a split, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miamis women's tennis team was u ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will wrap up the memorable 2018 season as No. 42 in t ...