Baseball

Canes win second straight, series against Gators, 2-1

Junior shortstop Ryan Jackson drove in a run in both the third and fifth innings on Saturday afternoon as No. 10 Miami defeated No. 12 Florida 2-1 at McKethan Stadium.

Starting pitcher David Gutierrez (1-0) pitched seven scoreless innings for the Hurricanes (5-1), while junior closer Kyle Bellamy allowed an unearned run and stranded the tying runner on third in the ninth for his third save of the season.

Jackson, a preseason All-American, is now batting .409 and has six RBI in the third spot in the lineup. Freshman first baseman Harold Martinez also went 2 for 4.

Freshman southpaw Alex Panteliodis (1-1) took the loss for the Gators (5-2) despite giving up just two runs over 5.2 innings. Junior right-hander Billy Bullock didn’t surrender a run in the remaining 3.1 innings of relief.

On Friday night, senior left fielder Jonathan Weislow hit two home runs – the first of his collegiate career – for five RBI as the Canes beat UF 8-5.

Sophomore All-American lefty Chris Hernandez (2-0) gave up four earned runs over five innings. Freshman left-hander Daniel Miranda and Bellamy combined on four innings of one-run ball in relief.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...