Baseball

Canes win second straight, series against Gators, 2-1

Junior shortstop Ryan Jackson drove in a run in both the third and fifth innings on Saturday afternoon as No. 10 Miami defeated No. 12 Florida 2-1 at McKethan Stadium.

Starting pitcher David Gutierrez (1-0) pitched seven scoreless innings for the Hurricanes (5-1), while junior closer Kyle Bellamy allowed an unearned run and stranded the tying runner on third in the ninth for his third save of the season.

Jackson, a preseason All-American, is now batting .409 and has six RBI in the third spot in the lineup. Freshman first baseman Harold Martinez also went 2 for 4.

Freshman southpaw Alex Panteliodis (1-1) took the loss for the Gators (5-2) despite giving up just two runs over 5.2 innings. Junior right-hander Billy Bullock didn’t surrender a run in the remaining 3.1 innings of relief.

On Friday night, senior left fielder Jonathan Weislow hit two home runs – the first of his collegiate career – for five RBI as the Canes beat UF 8-5.

Sophomore All-American lefty Chris Hernandez (2-0) gave up four earned runs over five innings. Freshman left-hander Daniel Miranda and Bellamy combined on four innings of one-run ball in relief.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...