Tennis

Canes handle Wolverines 6-1

Tenth-ranked Miami cruised past No. 18 Michigan in a 6-1 victory Thursday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

The Wolverines (5-3) won the doubles point with wins in the first and third positions, including 21st-ranked tandem junior Tania Mahtani and senior Chisako Sugiyama’s 8-4 decision over sophomore Julia Cohen and junior Laura Vallverdu.

After sophomore Michaela Kissell and freshman Gabriela Mejia won 8-6 in the second slot, junior Claudia Wasilewski and sophomore Bianca Eichkorn battled back from an early 6-2 deficit but fell 9-8.

“Losing the doubles point is getting old,” head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “Our goal is to get that doubles point and really put the pressure on our opponents to try and beat us four-out-of-six in singles. And with the team we have, and the way we’re playing, I think that’s going to be tough for a lot of people if we continue to play like we are in singles.”

In singles competition, Cohen (No. 20) fell behind 2-0 in the opening set yet turned things around for a 6-3, 6-1 win in the first position.

“My game is mostly just running down a lot of shots and I thought I didn’t miss that much and I moved really well today,” Cohen said.

Kissell (No. 60) handled her opponent in straight sets, 6-4, 6-0, Mejia won her fourth-straight match and Vallverdu clinched the team victory with a 7-5, 6-2 win. Eichkorn (No. 51), who played in the third slot, won 6-4, 6-1 and stretched her win streak to five. Wasilewski kept the Hurricanes perfect in singles play in a three-set affair, 4-6, 6-3, 10-4.

“We switched Michaela and Bianca today, but I told them at the beginning of the year ‘if they worked hard and showed hard work, then they’d both get some time at No. 3 [singles],’ and we felt Bianca earned that chance today,” Yaroshuk-Tews said.

Miami hosts Atlantic Coast Conference opponent Boston College (3-2) next Thursday at 10 a.m. at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

“Overall, it was another good win for us against another ranked opponent, and I thought the girls showed a lot of heart out there today,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “We are going to take a few days off to get away from the court, and then get back to it on Monday. I think the time away will help all of us right now after a tough stretch of matches the last few weeks.”

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Miami Hurricanes football team hosted the 2017 Football Awards Show at Gusman Hall on the Univer ...