Knight Arts Challenge offers opportunities to professionals and students alike

The Knight Arts Challenge, sponsored by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, is a local contest aimed at bringing together the South Florida community through an appreciation for the arts. The foundation will be accepting applications through 9 a.m. on Monday, March 2.

Applicants must abide by only three rules: the project must relate to art, all submissions must take place in or benefit South Florida, and winners must find a monetary match to their grant donations.

The project, which is in its second year of existence, is part of a five-year $40 million initiative open to non-profit organizations, companies and individuals.

“If you have a great idea, you should be applying,” said Dennis Scholl, the interim Miami program director for the Knight Center.

The application process is quite simple. It only consists of two sections: the title of the project and a 150-word description.

The project is a good opportunity for University of Miami students who have an artistic vision and want to make a difference in the South Florida community.

“I’d be surprised if one of the winning ideas didn’t come out of UM,” Scholl said.

In fact, two UM graduates, film students Josh Miller and Sam Rega, were granted $750,000 to start the Miami World Cinema Center last year – an initiative that benefits local independent filmmakers.

President Donna E. Shalala was last year’s top winner, earning $1.8 million for the University of Miami’s post-graduate program for rising artists.

For more information, visit www.knightarts.org.

INFO BOX:

In 2008…

– The Knight Arts Challenge received 1643 applications.

– 77 semi-finalists were allowed to elaborate on their ideas.

– 32 winners were announced.

– Collectively, they were awarded $8 million.

Hilary Saunders

Senior EDGE Writer

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...