Knight Arts Challenge offers opportunities to professionals and students alike

The Knight Arts Challenge, sponsored by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, is a local contest aimed at bringing together the South Florida community through an appreciation for the arts. The foundation will be accepting applications through 9 a.m. on Monday, March 2.

Applicants must abide by only three rules: the project must relate to art, all submissions must take place in or benefit South Florida, and winners must find a monetary match to their grant donations.

The project, which is in its second year of existence, is part of a five-year $40 million initiative open to non-profit organizations, companies and individuals.

“If you have a great idea, you should be applying,” said Dennis Scholl, the interim Miami program director for the Knight Center.

The application process is quite simple. It only consists of two sections: the title of the project and a 150-word description.

The project is a good opportunity for University of Miami students who have an artistic vision and want to make a difference in the South Florida community.

“I’d be surprised if one of the winning ideas didn’t come out of UM,” Scholl said.

In fact, two UM graduates, film students Josh Miller and Sam Rega, were granted $750,000 to start the Miami World Cinema Center last year – an initiative that benefits local independent filmmakers.

President Donna E. Shalala was last year’s top winner, earning $1.8 million for the University of Miami’s post-graduate program for rising artists.

For more information, visit www.knightarts.org.

INFO BOX:

In 2008…

– The Knight Arts Challenge received 1643 applications.

– 77 semi-finalists were allowed to elaborate on their ideas.

– 32 winners were announced.

– Collectively, they were awarded $8 million.

Hilary Saunders

Senior EDGE Writer

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...