Knight Arts Challenge offers opportunities to professionals and students alike

The Knight Arts Challenge, sponsored by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, is a local contest aimed at bringing together the South Florida community through an appreciation for the arts. The foundation will be accepting applications through 9 a.m. on Monday, March 2.

Applicants must abide by only three rules: the project must relate to art, all submissions must take place in or benefit South Florida, and winners must find a monetary match to their grant donations.

The project, which is in its second year of existence, is part of a five-year $40 million initiative open to non-profit organizations, companies and individuals.

“If you have a great idea, you should be applying,” said Dennis Scholl, the interim Miami program director for the Knight Center.

The application process is quite simple. It only consists of two sections: the title of the project and a 150-word description.

The project is a good opportunity for University of Miami students who have an artistic vision and want to make a difference in the South Florida community.

“I’d be surprised if one of the winning ideas didn’t come out of UM,” Scholl said.

In fact, two UM graduates, film students Josh Miller and Sam Rega, were granted $750,000 to start the Miami World Cinema Center last year – an initiative that benefits local independent filmmakers.

President Donna E. Shalala was last year’s top winner, earning $1.8 million for the University of Miami’s post-graduate program for rising artists.

For more information, visit www.knightarts.org.

INFO BOX:

In 2008…

– The Knight Arts Challenge received 1643 applications.

– 77 semi-finalists were allowed to elaborate on their ideas.

– 32 winners were announced.

– Collectively, they were awarded $8 million.

Hilary Saunders

Senior EDGE Writer

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...