International students getting more scholarship information

In the midst of a global financial crisis, international students at the University of Miami are searching for new ways to overcome the economic chaos.

“We have received a great number of students that are very concerned in getting … a scholarship in the past year”, Mark Reid, an international admission counselor, said. “Surprisingly the number of applicants has been steady, so far.”

The Office of International Admissions and Office of Financial Aid are helping these students find this support.

These two offices are organizing information from foundations around the world that give scholarships to foreign students studying in the United States. Students will be able to apply through a link, titled database for non US citizens, found on the Office of International Admission’s website.

The website will take students to a link where they will be able to see their own country’s specific requirements in getting aid. If the student meets all the requirements, then they can fill out an application.

“We are trying to put all the requirements for each country into a single link, that way the students find the exact information needed for them, and is able to apply immediately,” Reid said.

The website is under construction. Reid expects it to be available before next semester’s application deadline. This way, hopeful students will be able to get aid for the academic term.

“We are just waiting for the financial office to put the information together,” Reid said.

International students, especially those coming from developing countries, are facing a tough reality. With the economy also showing signs of distress in their countries of origin, many are having trouble paying school and bills.

With UM announcing this past week that tuition will increase next semester, Maria Andrea Cardenas, an international student from Mexico, is worried.

“The only way I continue to study at UM is if I find a job”, said Cardenas. “I feel relieved to know that the international admissions office cares and wants to help out. It will be the best solution for me and others.”

About Author

Marina Granziera Contributing News Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “International students getting more scholarship information”

1. Diane says:

University Language Services is holding a scholarship essay contest for international students, but the deadline is this Saturday, Feb. 28! You can find the essay topic and rules here: http://www.universitylanguage.com/scholarships/competition/

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...