International students getting more scholarship information

In the midst of a global financial crisis, international students at the University of Miami are searching for new ways to overcome the economic chaos.

“We have received a great number of students that are very concerned in getting … a scholarship in the past year”, Mark Reid, an international admission counselor, said. “Surprisingly the number of applicants has been steady, so far.”

The Office of International Admissions and Office of Financial Aid are helping these students find this support.

These two offices are organizing information from foundations around the world that give scholarships to foreign students studying in the United States. Students will be able to apply through a link, titled database for non US citizens, found on the Office of International Admission’s website.

The website will take students to a link where they will be able to see their own country’s specific requirements in getting aid. If the student meets all the requirements, then they can fill out an application.

“We are trying to put all the requirements for each country into a single link, that way the students find the exact information needed for them, and is able to apply immediately,” Reid said.

The website is under construction. Reid expects it to be available before next semester’s application deadline. This way, hopeful students will be able to get aid for the academic term.

“We are just waiting for the financial office to put the information together,” Reid said.

International students, especially those coming from developing countries, are facing a tough reality. With the economy also showing signs of distress in their countries of origin, many are having trouble paying school and bills.

With UM announcing this past week that tuition will increase next semester, Maria Andrea Cardenas, an international student from Mexico, is worried.

“The only way I continue to study at UM is if I find a job”, said Cardenas. “I feel relieved to know that the international admissions office cares and wants to help out. It will be the best solution for me and others.”

Marina Granziera

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “International students getting more scholarship information”

1. Diane says:

University Language Services is holding a scholarship essay contest for international students, but the deadline is this Saturday, Feb. 28! You can find the essay topic and rules here: http://www.universitylanguage.com/scholarships/competition/

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...