Sports Briefs

SWIMMING/DIVING

Junior diver Reuben Ross won both the one-meter and three-meter diving events and finished second in the 10-meter platform this weekend at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships at the Eppley Recreation Center Natatorium in College Park, Md.

In the women’s competition, senior Jenna Dreyer took second place in the three-meter event with a 382.80, behind Duke freshman Abby Johnston’s 414.45.

Junior Brittany Viola’s quest for consecutive sweeps at ACC’s was denied as she finished third. She did win the one-meter springboard and 10-meter platform to defend her crown in those events.

As a team, UM finished eighth and swimmers notched NCAA “B” cut times in the 200 breaststroke by senior Britta Boesing and the 400 and 800 freestyle relay teams.

Freshman Dana Hatic marked a qualifying time in the 100-meter breaststroke and sophomore Annika Saarnak matched one in the 200-meter freestyle.

VOLLEYBALL

Freshman outside hitter Lane Carico was one of 30 volleyball players named to the 2008 All-ACC Academic Volleyball Team on Friday by ACC Commissioner John D. Swofford.

On the year, the business major averaged 3.59 digs per set and tallied a team-leading 16 double-doubles. She also led the Hurricanes in kills (369), service aces (35) and points (433).

To be eligible for consideration, a student-athlete must have earned a 3.00 grade point average for the previous semester and maintained a 3.00 cumulative average during her academic career.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns home this weekend to host Atlantic Coast Conference ...