Shalala: I have no plans to leave

President Donna E. Shalala

President Donna E. Shalala

Despite persistent rumors that University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala plans to leave the school for a position in the administration of President Barack Obama, she maintains that she is fully commited to UM long-term.

“I have absolutely no plans on leaving,” Shalala told The Miami Hurricane when asked if she thought about leaving or retiring during the next one to two years, the amount of time Shalala has said it might take for UM to recover from the effects of the current economic crisis. “Of course, I serve at the pleasure of the Board of Trustees, but I have no desire to leave.”

Shalala came to the school in 2001, following the 20-year tenure of Edward T. “Tad” Foote. Before that, she served eight years as President Bill Clinton’s secretary of Health and Human Services. Only one former president, Jay F. W. Pearson, served fewer than 19 years in the role.

There had been rumors published in the Miami Herald and elsewhere that she would return to her old cabinet post when Obama was elected, and once again when former nominee Tom Daschle was forced to withdraw following tax issues.

Matthew Bunch

The Miami Hurricanes are 2-0 when these two things happen: Michael Mediavilla starts, and Michael Bu ...

If Miami Hurricanes fans were hoping to hear that one quarterback charged forward with such authorit ...

The Florida State Seminoles came through in the clutch. The Miami Hurricanes did not. That pretty mu ...

The Jerry’s Pizza of Mark Richt’s youth is gone, but Fran’s Chicken Haven — “If the Colonel had our ...

Hey, Hurricane basketball fans, do you ever sit around and wonder whatever happened to Guillermo Dia ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

Junior Kristiana Yao is the first named at UM in the last 33 years. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to play its final match of the regular season ...

Ebony Morrison & women's 4x100m won at Baylor, while Gabrielle Hesslau & Sean Grossman ...

Sunday's finale between the Miami Hurricanes and Florida State Seminoles (April 23) will be pla ...

The No. 39 Miami women's tennis team will play its final match of the regular season Sunday at ...

On a night when he connected for a grand slam against archrival Florida State in front of a sold-out ...