Shalala: I have no plans to leave

President Donna E. Shalala

President Donna E. Shalala

Despite persistent rumors that University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala plans to leave the school for a position in the administration of President Barack Obama, she maintains that she is fully commited to UM long-term.

“I have absolutely no plans on leaving,” Shalala told The Miami Hurricane when asked if she thought about leaving or retiring during the next one to two years, the amount of time Shalala has said it might take for UM to recover from the effects of the current economic crisis. “Of course, I serve at the pleasure of the Board of Trustees, but I have no desire to leave.”

Shalala came to the school in 2001, following the 20-year tenure of Edward T. “Tad” Foote. Before that, she served eight years as President Bill Clinton’s secretary of Health and Human Services. Only one former president, Jay F. W. Pearson, served fewer than 19 years in the role.

There had been rumors published in the Miami Herald and elsewhere that she would return to her old cabinet post when Obama was elected, and once again when former nominee Tom Daschle was forced to withdraw following tax issues.

Matthew Bunch

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

Miami Hurricanes senior wide receiver Braxton Berrios sprinted — in a joyous frenzy — for about 30 y ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...

The Miami women's tennis team concluded its opening weekend of play Sunday on the final day of ...

The University of Miami swimming team continued its weekend at All-Florida Invitational at the Steph ...