Tennis

Hurricanes split weekend matches

After conquering the consolation bracket at the ITA National Team Indoor Championships, the University of Miami women’s tennis team split weekend matches in the state of Texas.

The 10th-ranked Hurricanes bounced back from a loss to seventh-ranked Baylor by defeating No. 21 Texas Christian, 6-1, on Sunday.

Despite losing the doubles point, Miami took all six singles matches against the Horned Frogs (4-3).

Sophomore Julia Cohen, ranked 20th, upset No. 6 Nina Munch-Soegaard, 3-6, 6-1, 6-1. No. 34 junior Laura Vallverdu and No. 51 sophomore Bianca Eichkorn each battled in three-set matches to victories.

On Saturday, the Hurricanes and the Bears (4-2) had to play 90 minutes away at Ennis Indoor Courts in Ennis, Texas due to severe winds in the Waco area.

Baylor won 4-2.

Despite Vallverdu and Cohen’s 9-7 upset over the seventh-ranked duo of Lenka Broosova and Csilla Borsanyi, the Canes lost the doubles point in a close 9-8 (7-5) defeat in the third slot featuring Eichkorn and freshman Gabriela Mejia.

Cohen and Eichkorn both won the only singles matches for UM.

No. 60 sophomore Michaela Kissell lost her first singles match of the spring season to No. 40 Jelena Stanivuk, 3-6, 7-5, 6-7 (5-7), for the deciding point in the match.

Miami (9-2) hosts No. 18 Michigan (5-2) at 2 p.m. Thursday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...