Tennis

Hurricanes split weekend matches

After conquering the consolation bracket at the ITA National Team Indoor Championships, the University of Miami women’s tennis team split weekend matches in the state of Texas.

The 10th-ranked Hurricanes bounced back from a loss to seventh-ranked Baylor by defeating No. 21 Texas Christian, 6-1, on Sunday.

Despite losing the doubles point, Miami took all six singles matches against the Horned Frogs (4-3).

Sophomore Julia Cohen, ranked 20th, upset No. 6 Nina Munch-Soegaard, 3-6, 6-1, 6-1. No. 34 junior Laura Vallverdu and No. 51 sophomore Bianca Eichkorn each battled in three-set matches to victories.

On Saturday, the Hurricanes and the Bears (4-2) had to play 90 minutes away at Ennis Indoor Courts in Ennis, Texas due to severe winds in the Waco area.

Baylor won 4-2.

Despite Vallverdu and Cohen’s 9-7 upset over the seventh-ranked duo of Lenka Broosova and Csilla Borsanyi, the Canes lost the doubles point in a close 9-8 (7-5) defeat in the third slot featuring Eichkorn and freshman Gabriela Mejia.

Cohen and Eichkorn both won the only singles matches for UM.

No. 60 sophomore Michaela Kissell lost her first singles match of the spring season to No. 40 Jelena Stanivuk, 3-6, 7-5, 6-7 (5-7), for the deciding point in the match.

Miami (9-2) hosts No. 18 Michigan (5-2) at 2 p.m. Thursday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Miami Hurricanes football team hosted the 2017 Football Awards Show at Gusman Hall on the Univer ...